Soundsmith MIMC Star???

Re: Soundsmith MIMC Star???

Postby Argon66 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:12 pm

60 db
1 k
Recall vtf to be about 1.97
Used the mint lp protractor which made a big difference ober the cardboard one.
I also ended up with the arm slightly below parallel which I think actually put the cart in a more level position.
Finally image is dead center by merely using the pole supplied by VPI and a few tweaks by ear.

It's a great cart.
You will be stoked.
VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr Star, Zesto Andros, Center and Periphery Ring Clamp, Lamm ll2.1 Deluxe, Bryston 3B3, Chord 2Qute DAC, Volent VL-3 Speakers
Argon66

Postby Bloodflame666 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 am

Argon66 wrote:60 db
1 k
Recall vtf to be about 1.97
Used the mint lp protractor which made a big difference ober the cardboard one.
I also ended up with the arm slightly below parallel which I think actually put the cart in a more level position.
Finally image is dead center by merely using the pole supplied by VPI and a few tweaks by ear.

It's a great cart.
You will be stoked.

Nice. 60db is the highest my phonostage will go I'm hoping that it's enough. I also have the VPI jig for alignment which is different from whatever came with your table I think. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Do you use a mat at all or just bare platter?
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Brf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:
Nice. 60db is the highest my phonostage will go I'm hoping that it's enough. I also have the VPI jig for alignment which is different from whatever came with your table I think. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Do you use a mat at all or just bare platter?

Trust me, you will have enough gain. The VPI jig works well, it is easy to use and sounds excellent. You get get a higher level of performance using other more complex alignment protractors but they require a greater time and effort to extract the performance.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Argon66 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 pm

If you have the rigid plastic jig you should be ok.
I had the cardboard one which has a lot of play
I don't think it was ever intended for serious alignment.

And bare platter baby.
The mats I've tried, which is not many... softened the sound a bit.
I guess I prefer a sharper presentation.
Plus I sometimes use the ring and center weight which for me is optimized on the naked platter.

It's a matter of preference really.
VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr Star, Zesto Andros, Center and Periphery Ring Clamp, Lamm ll2.1 Deluxe, Bryston 3B3, Chord 2Qute DAC, Volent VL-3 Speakers
Argon66

Postby Bloodflame666 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 pm

So I mounted and quickly aligned the soundsmith today and I can tell right off the bat that it is much quieter at 60db than my 2m black at 40 db. Exactly what I was fearing. I have to crank my volume up to 3/4 of the way to get my desired volume and punch. I listen to metal and I like my music super loud. Ughhh....however, it seems to track much quieter in terms of surface noise and it handles the inner grooves better, so victory on that end! Looks like I'll need to invest in another phonostage which I really didn't want to do because I love my musical surroundings Phonomena II +
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Mikeknj » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Running mine at 60 do and 500 ohms. No volume issue.
Mikeknj

Postby Bloodflame666 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:22 pm

It's not that it's an issue. It's that I prefer more gain so I don't have to crank my volume up so high. I have to have it roughly 2-3 notches above where my 2m black was for the same volume output
Bloodflame666

Postby Johnny » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:It's not that it's an issue. It's that I prefer more gain so I don't have to crank my volume up so high. I have to have it roughly 2-3 notches above where my 2m black was for the same volume output

As long as you can achieve the desired sound pressure level, why do you care where the volume knob is positioned?? If you get a phono amp with more gain, you will only have usable gain on the first half of the volume knob as oppose to the back half which you have now. I don't see a difference.
Johnny

Postby Bloodflame666 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Johnny wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:It's not that it's an issue. It's that I prefer more gain so I don't have to crank my volume up so high. I have to have it roughly 2-3 notches above where my 2m black was for the same volume output

As long as you can achieve the desired sound pressure level, why do you care where the volume knob is positioned?? If you get a phono amp with more gain, you will only have usable gain on the first half of the volume knob as oppose to the back half which you have now. I don't see a difference.

I guess it's not really a problem. I was just trying to achieve the same volume level for my other sources. It would be nice if my phono playback didn't have to be at 75% volume when my cassette or any other source only has to be at 50-60%. Maybe I'm splitting hairs...
Bloodflame666

Postby Jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:20 pm

I see your point about the inconvenience of different volume settings for different playback equipment. On the other hand, as I understand it, volume controls are resistors and when you turn the volume down you are actually applying more resistance to the input signal. So in your situation, "cranking up the volume" is in effect applying less negative feedback to the signal. From a theoretical perspective that seems like a good thing, although I don't know if anyone other than circuit designers can appreciate an improvement in sound quality. Happy listening with your new cartridge!
Classic 3 with 3D tonearm, Peripheral Ring Clamp, XLR Output & VAS Nova 0.4mV cartridge. LKV Veros One phono stage, ARC Ref 5 SE preamp, ARC Ref 75 SE amp, Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers.
Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum