Soundsmith MIMC Star???

Re: Soundsmith MIMC Star???

Postby Bloodflame666 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:49 pm

How about its overall sound and track ability compared to the 2m black
Bloodflame666

Postby babybird » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Mine has never skipped a groove not once at 1.9 ± a smidge VTF, Never heard the 2M black but would be very surprised if it didn't totally outperform it.
babybird

Postby Bloodflame666 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 pm

In particular, I'm curious about the inner grooves of a record cut close to the label.
Bloodflame666

Postby Brf » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:30 am

Bloodflame666 wrote:In particular, I'm curious about the inner grooves of a record cut close to the label.

That is more dependent on the cartridge setup rather than the cartridge itself, although the MIMC has a line contact stylus profile which is more sensitive to cartridge setup.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Bloodflame666 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 am

Brf wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:In particular, I'm curious about the inner grooves of a record cut close to the label.

That is more dependent on the cartridge setup rather than the cartridge itself, although the MIMC has a line contact stylus profile which is more sensitive to cartridge setup.

If I chose to purchase this cartridge then I would do it through soundstage direct. I'd send the tone arm in to them and they would set it up. I'd probably just have to adjust vta on my table with it and make sure everything else is on point. At least I'd hope so.
Bloodflame666

Postby babybird » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:59 am

Brf wrote:

Regardless I have never not once seen this cartridge skip a groove, beginning middle or end. It tracks beautifully. I did the setup myself, it really isn't that difficult you just have to go slow, be cautious and patient.
babybird

Postby Bloodflame666 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:19 am

babybird wrote:
Brf wrote:

Regardless I have never not once seen this cartridge skip a groove, beginning middle or end. It tracks beautifully. I did the setup myself, it really isn't that difficult you just have to go slow, be cautious and patient.

Did you use the VPI alignment jig?
Bloodflame666

Postby babybird » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm

I have used it in the past, but no I currently use the Feickert Version II alignment jig and like it better than any other I've tried and I have tried quite a few others. I also use, against Peter Lederman's suggestion not to do so, the Fozgometer. To that I will add that he suggests the Foz creates azimuth alignment via channel balance and yes you can use this device to adjust azimuth this way, but it also has the capability to adjust for channel separation/crosstalk too, which is a better method. I have had long conversations with the folks at Musical Suroundings (distributors) about this device and feel very confident I've got it correct. Otherwise by all means use Sound Smiths method of cartridge alignment should you dive in and DIY.

I'm a bit of a control freak and hands on person, so wouldn't do it any other way. Not only that any cartridge alignment IS susceptible to change over time be it anti skating, VTF or VTA/SRA. Even Mr Lederman himself will tell you this, so a perfect alignment done today somewhere else will not last a lifetime IMHO. Something to consider.
babybird

Postby Argon66 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:31 pm

I have the star and like it very much as well.
It loads a little differently than most lo mc which does catch some off guard, but I believe your preamp has many loading options so you will be fine.

As noted it can be a bugger to set up but when done will its excellent.
VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr Star, Zesto Andros, Center and Periphery Ring Clamp, Lamm ll2.1 Deluxe, Bryston 3B3, Chord 2Qute DAC, Volent VL-3 Speakers
Argon66

Postby Bloodflame666 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Argon66 wrote:I have the star and like it very much as well.
It loads a little differently than most lo mc which does catch some off guard, but I believe your preamp has many loading options so you will be fine.

As noted it can be a bugger to set up but when done will its excellent.

What did you use to set it up? What are your gain and load settings at? I went ahead and ordered one and it'll be here by the weekend. I'm going to try to set it up myself
Bloodflame666

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum