Soundsmith MIMC Star???

Re: Soundsmith MIMC Star???

Postby cbl117 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:19 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:So, sonically speaking, what should I be hearing as a difference between switching from 470-1000k? I like how 470 sounds but can't help but want to try 1000k....

My opinion, based on theory, and even more speculation (having not seen/heard your setup): You may notice more treble energy going to 1 Kohm. That could manifest itself as a good thing, such as more detail, air, separation, while maintaining tonal balance. It could manifest itself as a bad thing such as a hard sound (read: etched) which could sound bright or fatiguing over a listening period.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Try them both out and see what you like the best.
cbl117

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank you. And I'll probably need to adjust vta accordingly?
Bloodflame666

Postby cbl117 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:Thank you. And I'll probably need to adjust vta accordingly?

I can not see a first order reason why you would need to adjust VTA for only changing cartridge loading. They are two independent variables that happen to produce similar tonal results. In other words: If your VTA is correct in the first place, then changing cartridge loading will have no affect on VTA.
cbl117

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:25 pm

I never understood how vta could be set "correctly". It seems to be one of those things where preference comes into play. I happen to like the sound at a slightly tail up position. Some people enjoy level position and I've read of a few who prefer a tail down stance. What is right? What is wrong? So by changing the loading of my cartridge to 1000k, won't I find that I might need a little more bass? I can achieve that by coming down on vta slightly. Am I thinking correctly?
Bloodflame666

Postby Argon66 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:32 pm

In my opinion. Yes. Back to that in a moment.
First off I have a predominantly tube set up which handles the high frequencies beautifully.
Going from 450 ohms to 1 k seemed to wake everything up with this cart.
More detail, presence, dynamics, sparkle.
Comparatively is seemed a little dull at the lower setting.
But not bad by any stretch.
In a very detailed solid state system the lower setting might sound better?

Also this cart is super sensitive to set up.
I had the tail slightly up at one point and was getting slight sibilance on some records.
Changing the vta calmed everything down in the high registers and resulted in a meatier lower midrange and bass.

At least for me 1k and slightly tail down was the magic mix.
Ymmv.
VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr Star, Zesto Andros, Center and Periphery Ring Clamp, Lamm ll2.1 Deluxe, Bryston 3B3, Chord 2Qute DAC, Volent VL-3 Speakers
Argon66

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 pm

I have all solid state equipment. Parasound p5 and a21 for power and preamp. I run the cart into a musical surroundings Phonomena II+ phonostage which is solid state as well. It seems to sound better at 475. I listened to a few things tonight. With that being said, it's only got about 4 hours of use and I'm sure options will change once it breaks in. For now I think I'll keep it at 475 and keep playing with the vta. I have it slightly tail up but I find myself constantly moving vta around every time I have a listening session hahaha. I listen to mostly heavy metal (death metal/black metal) so I like having more detail in the drums rather than a thicker/boomy sound. It's important in the kind of music to have as much clarity as possible so that the sound doesn't get lost in the speed. I'm also just getting used to the change from my 2m black to this cartridge. I need more time to let the overall presentation soak in. I can see myself lower the vta a bit more in time in order to get a little more clarity in the double bass as it tends to get lost on certain records with the higher frequencies. I'll keep my findings posted in this as I feel it could help out other users. I also plan on buying a feickert protractor to really dial in alignment
Bloodflame666

Postby Bloodflame666 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Ok! New set of problems! Now I'm starting to hear siblance. Its especially noticeable in the high hats. I've lowered my head shell to level, I'm running 2.1 grams. I'm at 475 ohm. 60 db gain. Set it up with the VIP jig and followed the instructions on the soundstage website for antiskate. I used the VIP stick for azimuth. Any clue what the hell is going on and how to fix it?
Bloodflame666

Postby cbl117 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:Ok! New set of problems! Now I'm starting to hear siblance. Its especially noticeable in the high hats. I've lowered my head shell to level, I'm running 2.1 grams. I'm at 475 ohm. 60 db gain. Set it up with the VIP jig and followed the instructions on the soundstage website for antiskate. I used the VIP stick for azimuth. Any clue what the hell is going on and how to fix it?

Is it just sibilance, or do you hear actual mistracking too? (distortion like a buzzing sound). Is it coming from one channel, or both channels?

VTA and azimuth are very critical for the type of stylus on your cart. Do you have any way to confirm headshell is level? I don't think the azimuth stick is very accurate.

IMO this would be something worth picking up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Car ... 4902.l9144
It will help to initially set VTA and azimuth so you know you're at a good starting point.
cbl117

Previous

Return to Support Forum