Stuck in lead in groove

Re: Stuck in lead in groove

Postby PJ021511 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:33 pm

my allen wrench came in one of the packs that were with my turntable, did you check the bags that came with your TT
PJ021511

Postby PJ021511 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:34 pm

The Allen Wrench should be in a bag that came with your TT
PJ021511

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:40 pm

As long as you have some daylight in between when the lever is down you should be good...It takes a while for the new cueing mechanism to loosen up...You probably pushed the mechanism down with the screwdriver as the screw on top has nothing to do with the height of the cueing lever....Keep working it up and down. You may see it stuck up again but don't sweat it...The more you use it the smoother it will become...You need to get a hex wrench for that fitting anyway so you have it on hand if you need to further adjust or remove it at some point...If your table was new it should have been in your cartridge mounting hardware bag...
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Jprod » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Ok. Thanks a lot. I did find the Allen wrench but didn't screw with it for now ( no pun intended)
Come to think about it , it does seem to happen when I first place some vinyl on the turntable. Will see what happens with more use. Typically how long does it take before it is broken in ?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Jprod » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 pm

After a month, no better. I called vpi who suggested a replacement. I emailed Jay at Soundstage direct on Friday and Monday I received my new tonearm lift !! Now that's customer service. Jay as usual was awesome

Installed it tonight and the jury is out. If I leave he turntable alone for an hour or two , I have the same problem. Hopefully this arm will loosen over time and work better. It always happens when the mechanism has not been used for a little. Me thinks they will change suppliers again soon if this continues
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Jprod wrote:After a month, no better. I called vpi who suggested a replacement. I emailed Jay at Soundstage direct on Friday and Monday I received my new tonearm lift !! Now that's customer service. Jay as usual was awesome

Installed it tonight and the jury is out. If I leave he turntable alone for an hour or two , I have the same problem. Hopefully this arm will loosen over time and work better. It always happens when the mechanism has not been used for a little. Me thinks they will change suppliers again soon if this continues

If you really want to fix it order a Jelco JL-45. These are far superior (smooth as silk) and also what VPI used up until about a year ago....I immediately replaced mine with the Jelcos....Sometimes made in America doesn't always mean Better :roll:
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Jprod » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 am

At this point I may have to --- altough it is kind of irritating to have to pay for a replacement part on a brand new tt because the stock unit is inferior
Jprod

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 am

Jprod wrote:At this point I may have to --- altough it is kind of irritating to have to pay for a replacement part on a brand new tt because the stock unit is inferior

I was able to make the newer (made in) USA unit work by taking it apart and cleaning everything. Then applied a tiny bit of silicone spray inside the unit..Worked a lot better but still not as smooth and predictable as the Jelco...The other thing that bugged me is the arm on the newer units is shorter than the Jelco....

Some people say they fall too fast in which case some thicker silicone lube is in order....I just got tired of messing with it when I knew there was a simple solution available.......
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Jprod » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:57 am

where did you order the jelco from ?
Jprod

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:23 am

Jprod wrote:where did you order the jelco from ?

eBay - There is a guy in the UK selling them on eBay for 64.00 + 12.00 shipping....When I got mine there was a guy in the US selling them for 69.00 I think it was....I am sure you can find them if you look around. I think there are Jelco dealers in the US...
Letsmakeadeal

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum