Prime antiskate confusion

Re: Prime antiskate confusion

Postby VinBob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 pm

thegage wrote:
VinBob wrote:
Brf wrote:For some odd reason, the blank side of an LP didn’t work for me even with all four donuts applied :?

Not necessarily odd. When I use the blank area on the Cardas test disc I need four donuts and a brass washer (or maybe two) to achieve decent AS; when I use the Soundsmith method I don't need the washer.

John K.

Thanks John - Which makes me wonder whether the blank LP side test is an efficient one that has also been questioned in the past. Another reason for questioning, is that when I play the AS test track on my ultimate analog test LP with a couple of donuts, I get clean playback right until the last 5 seconds giving a little electrical buzz on the right channel, which leads me to believe I should have enough AS set. The same results are achieved whether using 2,3 or 4 donuts in my setup...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Stringreen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:32 pm

There is no correct way
Stringreen

Postby Johnny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Stringreen wrote:There is no correct way

Give it a rest. Everyone knows you are ANTI anti-skate :D

Do you even own a VPI anti-skate device?
Johnny

Postby Stringreen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 am

I use a 3D with 2nd pivot....a/s device is sitting in a drawer
Stringreen

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 am

Stringreen, Antiskate (or the lack thereof) seems to have become your raison d’etre. I think it’s time to move on to bigger and better things. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby tony22 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 am

So at the risk of getting rocks thrown at me, in the listening I've done with my Classic, and just recently Avenger, I think the music sounds better without the A-S device in use. I've tried with absolutely no A-S, with a single twist of the tone arm cable, and with the A-S device. Assuming I did each properly (checked on the usual discs, through listening to real music, using the SS method and blank disc...), when I use the A-S device the music seems "smaller" - less dynamic and free flowing than without. The twist method, if needed, seems to be the best compromise in my system. No reduction in dynamics.

I'll duck now. :D
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Gary1955 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:16 pm

No rock throwing from me Tony, I agree!
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:55 pm

@Gary. @tony

+1

I agree as well
LIke every other issue in the world these days there will be two polar opposite opinions.

Could it be
Liberals are for anti skating
Conservatives against?

LOL :lol: :lol: just kidding, or am I?
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Gary1955 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:42 pm

+2 LetsMakeADeal!!

Without getting too political, liberals/democrats/statists/main stream media etc. are usually skating on thin ice with the Constitution, big government, self interests, etc. and need all the anti-skating they can get!! :lol:
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Brf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Anti-skate for me.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum