Prime antiskate confusion

Re: Prime antiskate confusion

Postby VinBob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 pm

thegage wrote:
VinBob wrote:
Brf wrote:For some odd reason, the blank side of an LP didn’t work for me even with all four donuts applied :?

Not necessarily odd. When I use the blank area on the Cardas test disc I need four donuts and a brass washer (or maybe two) to achieve decent AS; when I use the Soundsmith method I don't need the washer.

John K.

Thanks John - Which makes me wonder whether the blank LP side test is an efficient one that has also been questioned in the past. Another reason for questioning, is that when I play the AS test track on my ultimate analog test LP with a couple of donuts, I get clean playback right until the last 5 seconds giving a little electrical buzz on the right channel, which leads me to believe I should have enough AS set. The same results are achieved whether using 2,3 or 4 donuts in my setup...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Stringreen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:32 pm

There is no correct way
Stringreen

Postby Johnny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Stringreen wrote:There is no correct way

Give it a rest. Everyone knows you are ANTI anti-skate :D

Do you even own a VPI anti-skate device?
Johnny

Postby Stringreen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 am

I use a 3D with 2nd pivot....a/s device is sitting in a drawer
Stringreen

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 am

Stringreen, Antiskate (or the lack thereof) seems to have become your raison d’etre. I think it’s time to move on to bigger and better things. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby tony22 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 am

So at the risk of getting rocks thrown at me, in the listening I've done with my Classic, and just recently Avenger, I think the music sounds better without the A-S device in use. I've tried with absolutely no A-S, with a single twist of the tone arm cable, and with the A-S device. Assuming I did each properly (checked on the usual discs, through listening to real music, using the SS method and blank disc...), when I use the A-S device the music seems "smaller" - less dynamic and free flowing than without. The twist method, if needed, seems to be the best compromise in my system. No reduction in dynamics.

I'll duck now. :D
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Gary1955 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:16 pm

No rock throwing from me Tony, I agree!
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:55 pm

@Gary. @tony

+1

I agree as well
LIke every other issue in the world these days there will be two polar opposite opinions.

Could it be
Liberals are for anti skating
Conservatives against?

LOL :lol: :lol: just kidding, or am I?
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Gary1955 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:42 pm

+2 LetsMakeADeal!!

Without getting too political, liberals/democrats/statists/main stream media etc. are usually skating on thin ice with the Constitution, big government, self interests, etc. and need all the anti-skating they can get!! :lol:
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Brf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Anti-skate for me.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum