Prime antiskate confusion

Prime antiskate confusion

Postby Jprod » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:32 am

Hello again. I have read and searched as much as I can online and in this forum about antiskate. The more I read the more confused I become
1. Is the number or rubber washers or the location of said washers on the post affect antiskate or both ?
2. If I hang my lemo connector upside down to " reset it" and plug it back in it still seems to introduce some antiskate. It's not like the video where it stays neutral. Mine seems to have some mild antiskate in the "neutral" position. Am I doing something wrong ?
3. I have received 2 recommendations- no antiskate vs yes antiskate with my ortofon 2 m black to prevent stylus wear. Any thoughts as it pertains to this particular cartridge?
Thanks
VPI Prime, Graham slee accession phono amp, parasound p5 preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters
Jprod

Re: Prime antiskate confusion

Postby Brf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:34 am

Jprod wrote:Hello again. I have read and searched as much as I can online and in this forum about antiskate. The more I read the more confused I become
2. If I hang my lemo connector upside down to " reset it" and plug it back in it still seems to introduce some antiskate. It's not like the video where it stays neutral. Mine seems to have some mild antiskate in the "neutral" position. Am I doing something wrong ?

You can use a hair dryer set to low to help relax the insulation and remove the memory

Jprod wrote:Hello again. I have read and searched as much as I can online and in this forum about antiskate. The more I read the more confused I become
3. I have received 2 recommendations- no antiskate vs yes antiskate with my ortofon 2 m black to prevent stylus wear. Any thoughts as it pertains to this particular cartridge?
Thanks

You will not get a consensus answer, therefore, you must experiment and judge for yourself

1. Is the number or rubber washers or the location of said washers on the post affect antiskate or both ?

Three factors contribute to the amount of anti-skate force:

1) The lower the fishing line is attached to the cam post, the less leverage, therefore, the more force is required.
Lower = more anti-skate, Higher = Less anti-skate

2) As you put more rubber rings on the bottom cam post, the greater the mass, therefore, the greater the force required to move the mass.
More rubber rings = More anti-skate, Less rubber rings = Less ant-skate

3) the location of the rubber donuts on the bottom cam shaft, the closer to the end of the shaft, the more force is required.
Closer to the cam = Less ant-skate, Closer to the end of the post = More anti-skate
Attachments
AS.jpg
AS.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am

Excellent explanation as always Brf. If only the instructions that came with the Prime, or an accompanying video perhaps, were so clear...
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 am

Dorian wrote:Excellent explanation as always Brf. If only the instructions that came with the Prime, or an accompanying video perhaps, were so clear...

+1 Mat should capture all of Brent's tips in a How To White Paper and put it on their website!
Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI HRX Reference (MagDrive/RimDrive), 12" 3DR tonearms, Miyajima Kansui & ZERO, VPI ADS, Vendetta SCP-1
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Dorian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:06 am

I've always wondered, who ARE you Brf (Brent?) and how do you know so much about everything VPI? I respect your right to anonymity of course, if you prefer to remain so...
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Johnny » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am

Dorian wrote:I've always wondered, who ARE you Brf (Brent?) and how do you know so much about everything VPI? I respect your right to anonymity of course, if you prefer to remain so...

http://vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4958&p=10404&hilit=+who+brf#p10404
Johnny

Postby Jprod » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks a ton for the explanation and pictures! Now on to experiment. I think the approach I will take is to use one washer on the shaft for now and add after I listen for a while. My bias is that I will not notice a big difference in sound. I am more concerned about premature stylus wear.

One other question - I would assume adding more washers has more affect on antiskate than moving the fishing line on the various notches , correct ?
VPI Prime, Graham slee accession phono amp, parasound p5 preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:52 am

Jprod wrote:I would assume adding more washers has more affect on antiskate than moving the fishing line on the various notches , correct ?

No it is the opposite. Moving the fishing line has a bigger impact.
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks for that, but still doesn't answer the question of who you are Brf! I feel like I know Batman, but not Bruce Wayne.... But I don't want to scare off Batman, so I will drop it!
Dorian

Postby Brf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Dorian wrote:

Thanks for that, but still doesn't answer the question of who you are Brf! I feel like I know Batman, but not Bruce Wayne.... But I don't want to scare off Batman, so I will drop it!

No one special, I am just an audio hobbyist like everyone else. In some instances, my background allows me to create a theoretical premise or framework to describe how something works without actually using the object. I've been a VPI customer since the HW-19 Mk3. No prior or current affiliation with audio.
Brf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support Forum