Advice needed for setting up my Cartridge...

Re: Advice needed for setting up my Cartridge...

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Once the screws are loosened, you will have a couple of mm of play.

Checking to ensure that you have the correct S2P distance should be the number #1 setup requirement.

Also, when taking the measurement, make sure that the ruler is level, otherwise the measurement will be off. If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Brf wrote:Once the screws are loosened, you will have a couple of mm of play.

Checking to ensure that you have the correct S2P distance should be the number #1 setup requirement.

Also, when taking the measurement, make sure that the ruler is level, otherwise the measurement will be off. If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right.

Absolutely Brf and thanks for the additional guidance. I will use the Feickert NG protractor so I should be good with regards to having an accurate measuring device for this when I eventually get to it but for now, I think I can live at the 259mm setting.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby JimTimP » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:54 pm

BRF - Quick Question:

If you are using a protractor like the Dr Fickert, where you set the angle of the protractor by extending an arm and pointer over the pivot point, does this not compensate for any anomaly with the P2S distance? Or should you still move the Pivot to the correct P2S distance?
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby Brf » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:50 pm

JimTimP wrote:BRF - Quick Question:

If you are using a protractor like the Dr Fickert, where you set the angle of the protractor by extending an arm and pointer over the pivot point, does this not compensate for any anomaly with the P2S distance? Or should you still move the Pivot to the correct P2S distance?

The Feikhert protractor creates the approapraite null points based on any desired S2P distance, therefore, if your S2P is above or below the manufacture's recommended distance, all you need to concern yourself with is can the cartridge stylus tip target the null point based on the current S2P distance. That is why it is referred to as a universal protractor.

If you are using a fixed single point protractor like the VPI jig or a custom arc protractor like the MintLP, the jig/arc protector and the tonearm's S2P distance must match exactly.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jonathanb » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Hmmm…

When I setup a cartridge using just the Feickert, I find the needle is ~1mm too far when checked with either the VPI jig or my MintLP protractor.

I've taken to using the Feickert to set the proper P2S distance then using the VPI jig for setting the proper position of the stylus and a rough alignment then fine tuning the position and alignment with the Mint LP.
jonathanb

Postby Brf » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:04 pm

jonathanb wrote:Hmmm…

When I setup a cartridge using just the Feickert, I find the needle is ~1mm too far when checked with either the VPI jig or my MintLP protractor.

I've taken to using the Feickert to set the proper P2S distance then using the VPI jig for setting the proper position of the stylus and a rough alignment then fine tuning the position and alignment with the Mint LP.

I assume that your S2P distance is set at258mm. Also, the Feickert provides the 3 most common alignments, whereas, the VPI jig is proprietary to Vpi which could account for the difference.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby JimTimP » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:22 am

Brf wrote:
JimTimP wrote:BRF - Quick Question:

The Feikhert protractor creates the approapraite null points based on any desired S2P distance, therefore, if your S2P is above or below the manufacture's recommended distance, all you need to concern yourself with is can the cartridge stylus tip target the null point based on the current S2P distance. That is why it is referred to as a universal protractor.

If you are using a fixed single point protractor like the VPI jig or a custom arc protractor like the MintLP, the jig/arc protector and the tonearm's S2P distance must match exactly.

What I thought. Vinbob was also using the Fieckert. Thanks for the clarification.

Jim
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby VinBob » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Well, I finally got my Lyra Delos setup this evening and once again, not getting close enough channel balance for my liking!!!!! :x

Could it be the Test LP? - Analog productions had left channel higher by 2-3 tick marks and channel balance glowed left (again as per my DV20x2L)

However, when I tried it with the Hi-Fi news test LP which gives a lower reading BTW, the Foz was favoring the Right channel higher by one tick mark and when playing the channel balance track, the right channel LED glowed a touch more than the left.

The Fozgometer was calibrated with the right and left channels being exact and the channel balance track only showed green center channel at the required zero value. So the Foz should be OK from what I can tell. Do you guys think I have an issue? What else can I try? Do I just have two bad Test LP's? Could this issue be coming from the Prime? This is so frustrating as I was really expecting better things with my Delos...

I'll be calling the dealer for some advice on Monday to see what they can advise, but I truly am at a loss at this point :cry:

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby thegage » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:40 pm

I know it's not helpful to your situation, but I'll comment that your experience is why I gave up using a Fozgometer (after owning three) and just adjust by ear (after setting the cartridge body parallel in both axes).

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby JimTimP » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Bob,

I can tell you I also recently installed a Lyra Delos on a second arm on my Prime Signature. I did not use my copy of the Adjust+ software. I did use the Fieckert NG Protractor to adjust overhang, etc. I used an acrylic block to set the azimuth to parallel to the record as well as the VTA. I did tweak the azimuth slightly. All else remains as originally set.

The final azimuth was set by ear to eliminate sibilance on brand new Elton John records and I was able to eliminate all of it. Separation is terrific for a low hour cartridge. While playing Elton Honky Chateau, he is front and center and very clean. Right now I'm listening to Brahms 4 Symphonies on Deutsche Grammophon and they sound as if I'm in a concert hall listening. The cartridge has about 12 hours on it at this point.

I'd also recommend getting rid of the Foz. I'm not sure I can improve on the sound using the Adjust+ software. I do know I am enjoying the cartridge without using tools that I spent too much money on.

Jim
JimTimP

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum