Advice needed for setting up my Cartridge...

Re: Advice needed for setting up my Cartridge...

Postby VinBob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Dorian wrote:Vin

Without meaning to sound dismissive or condescending, you appear to be spending a great deal of time trying to get your setup 'theoretically' correct without actually listening to how it sounds. On top of that the Foz, as I have said previously, IMHO is inaccurate and definitely frustrating. Ditch the Foz, or use it and adjust by ear. Or get Adjust+ which I think you will love, as it is accurate and provides repeatable results.

I may give the Adjust+ a try given all the Foz hassle, but I am not so sure I would have the patience for it, as its quite involved from what I hear/read - plus, its not the easiest thing to purchase!

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll persevere some more with what I currently have but as you mentioned, I may have to find another route which the only alternative, I guess would be the Feickert Adjust+
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:03 pm

I DID IT!!!!!!! :D :) :mrgreen: I cannot believe it and I almost had tears in my eyes with joy!!!! - I also have to admit that some of this may have simply been down to me just not adjusting things enough... :oops:

As it turns out, my Clearaudio Test Azimuth LP was a life saver because from what I can tell, the Analog Test LP center hole is a little too big which is what I think was causing the needle to fluctuate quite a bit even with the periphery ring on there and center weight. So my curiosity got the better of me...

I could clearly see that I just wasn't getting enough right channel balance for love nor money so I thought 'what the heck', let me just move the counterweight clockwise a tiny smidgen and see what happens... BINGO!!!! For once, the right channel was higher than the left and so I dialed things back the other way using the CI and I am literally one tick mark apart or very close to almost identical readings for both channels. I look at the head-shell from the front and it looks nice and level to what one would expect to see with no left or right tilting going on. So I then figured I would give the channel balance a shot on the Ultimate Test LP (as one unfortunately doesn't exist on the Clearaudio) and I am now getting the best ever readings I have managed to achieve with one tick mark, bright center channel green light and very slight equal glows for both left and right channels - normally, I would have a stronger glow in the left channel.

So I want to thank everyone for their patience in helping me and guiding me through this experience which has been a real education but the bottom line, is the Fozgometer DOES work well if you adjust things correctly and looks like I have a good cartridge. The other lesson learnt, is that my DV 20x2L was probably good too had I made this similar adjustment but hey, I ended up with a better cartridge which will give me improved reproduction on my vinyl and certainly no need to upgrade for a very long time now...

Now off to make some final checks for VTF and VTA and finally time to play some vinyl...! ALLELUIA!!!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:25 pm

VinBob wrote:I DID IT!!!!!!! :D :) :mrgreen: I cannot believe it and I almost had tears in my eyes with joy!!!! - I also have to admit that some of this may have simply been down to me just not adjusting things enough... :oops:
Now off to make some final checks for VTF and VTA and finally time to play some vinyl...! ALLELUIA!!!

Cheers,
Vin.

Now I can die in peace.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby VinBob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:49 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:
VinBob wrote:I DID IT!!!!!!! :D :) :mrgreen: I cannot believe it and I almost had tears in my eyes with joy!!!! - I also have to admit that some of this may have simply been down to me just not adjusting things enough... :oops:

Cheers,
Vin.

Now I can die in peace.

I am too happy to even be bothered by the sarcasm! :D
VinBob

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:07 pm

VinBob wrote:I am too happy to even be bothered by the sarcasm! :D

Welcome to the land of the living.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Dorian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Play a damn record now! :lol:
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Hey guys - finally playing records now and things sound pretty amazing already and this is only the first hour into the Lyra Delos!!! :D

I may have to perform some final tweaks around anti-skating which I have posted on another thread but did want to bring up another area where I could use some guidance and feedback. This is with regards to surface noise when playing the silent dead wax in-between songs (and in the lead in/out grooves) with a little system level noise if that makes sense - This may very well be normal but its almost as if the stylus is picking up every little detail off the vinyl and amplifying it back which I would have expected it to be more quiet in the silent passages. It almost sounds like the noise may be coming from the platter rotating along with vinyl surface noise - sorry if I am not explaining this clear enough but maybe I can make a recording and post up if it would help...

Does anyone else experience this? Is this reasonable to hear as I know I am not playing a CD but I just thought it would be a little quieter in the silent passages...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby cbl117 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:22 pm

VinBob wrote:Hey guys - finally playing records now and things sound pretty amazing already and this is only the first hour into the Lyra Delos!!! :D

I may have to perform some final tweaks around anti-skating which I have posted on another thread but did want to bring up another area where I could use some guidance and feedback. This is with regards to surface noise when playing the silent dead wax in-between songs (and in the lead in/out grooves) with a little system level noise if that makes sense - This may very well be normal but its almost as if the stylus is picking up every little detail off the vinyl and amplifying it back which I would have expected it to be more quiet in the silent passages. It almost sounds like the noise may be coming from the platter rotating along with vinyl surface noise - sorry if I am not explaining this clear enough but maybe I can make a recording and post up if it would help...

Does anyone else experience this? Is this reasonable to hear as I know I am not playing a CD but I just thought it would be a little quieter in the silent passages...

Cheers,
Vin.

Are you noticing any static charging on the record when you remove it from the platter? I've read that static charge can exacerbate surface noise. VTA/SRA can play a role too. How are you cleaning your records?
cbl117

Postby VinBob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:35 pm

cbl117 wrote:
VinBob wrote:Hey guys - finally playing records now and things sound pretty amazing already and this is only the first hour into the Lyra Delos!!! :D

Cheers,
Vin.

Are you noticing any static charging on the record when you remove it from the platter? I've read that static charge can exacerbate surface noise. VTA/SRA can play a role too. How are you cleaning your records?

No, no static that I can hear and all seems good with that. I just tried another LP (the new Marcus Miller on ECM records which is amazing BTW) which seems much better with regards to surface noise, so it may just be how these things are pressed although the one with the noise, is the MoFi Painted From memory which one would expect to be pretty damn exceptional. TBH, I have not cleaned either LP with my Music Hall RCM - I will do this tomorrow as the family has taken over for the evening and will report back. Thanks for the suggestions and advice...
VinBob

Previous

Return to Support Forum