Custom Tru-Lift ... To the Rescue ('tables with 9" arms)

Re: Custom Tru-Lift ... To the Rescue ('tables with 9" arms)

Postby edw » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:09 pm

baddog wrote:Got a Dual Pivot on there too, or not?

No dual pivot yet. I'm just really enjoying my setup now. The unipivot has been rock steady without trembling when playing an LP. But I have my sights on a 9" 3D arm. Will prolly try the dual pivot then.
edw

Postby baddog » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:22 pm

I believe, though of course I could be wrong, and certainly do not want to spend money for you, that you will find the Dual Pivot a beneficial addition once you get your new arm. IMHO of course.
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby edw » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:48 pm

I've heard good things about the dual pivot too. Prolly will need to get 2 of them. :mrgreen:
edw

Postby baddog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:51 am

I have two of them here. One for my 3D arm, one for my steel arm that handles mono duties....
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby edw » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 pm

I like your thinking. Exactly what I plan to do.
edw

Postby husafreak » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:14 am

I received my Tru-Lift and it is a nice piece of work "but" on my table it was necessary to extend the lifting arm body 5mm for it to do its job. This is done by loosening a set screw and extending the base unit. Unfortunately when this is done the periphery ring hits the base unit when stored on the platter. It is only a millimeter or so too tall but not being able to store the ring on the platter would be a major PITA. I imagine this is a combination of my choice of platter mat and maybe a taller cartridge than yours. Looking at your pics it appears you only needed 1 or 2mm extension to raise the arm which would still leave a mm or so for clearance. At +5mm extension mine is too tall. I'll try it without the mat tomorrow just for fun but I might need a taller shaft (the moving piston itself). Mine as supplied is projecting 28mm from the top of the body to the bottom of the lifting bar in the extended position. I would need 33mm with my components. Too many variables!
So for anyone contemplating this arm lift be advised that this Scout 2 lift is unique in that the base of the unit is short enough to sit below the stored periphery ring but if you need to extend it with the height adjustment feature for a taller cartridge or thicker mat then after adding approximately 2-3mm it will contact the (stored) ring. I'll try to get a picture on here tomorrow.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby edw » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:13 am

Argh. That's too bad. Yes, there are a lot of variables to this. So from what you're staying you need a slightly taller lift bar/lift bar shaft? Yes, I think that could be due to the height of the cart and needed VTA/SRA based on that. Perhaps Carlos can provide an updated lift bar/lift bar shaft so you don't have to raise it 5mm.

Also, when you post pics, it would be interesting to see which Scout II you have. Not sure if that would also make a difference.
edw

Postby husafreak » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:10 pm

I added a strip of plastic stock from modeling, 5mm wide. That did the trick, quick and dirty though. I'll show Carlo what I did. I mounted my Tru-Lift with 3M clear double stick tape instead of the Blue Tack. I had trouble maintaining all the clearances with Blue tack as it allows the base to tilt. Every dimension clearance is about 1-2mm! But it works.
Attachments
IMG_2650.JPG
IMG_2650.JPG (78.9 KiB) Viewed 293 times
IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG (69.28 KiB) Viewed 293 times
IMG_2644.JPG
plastic strip and contact cement
IMG_2644.JPG (69.17 KiB) Viewed 293 times
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby edw » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Nice, I like your temporary fix to the lift bar. No doubt Carlos will find a more permanent fix. I also added some thin electrical tape to the top of the lift bar because the tonearm sometimes slid on the metal lift bar and I also didn't want to scratch the tonearm when the lift bar does its thing. So far so good.

From the pics, it looks like the top of the lift's base is much closer to the bottom of the ring than mine due to the double sided tape. I used the blue tack and spread it evenly on the base. It left a bit more distance from the bottom of the ring and I didn't have any issues with tilt.

Yeah, the clearance are VERY tight but it does work.

BTW, it seems you have the same version of the Scout II so I guess the difference in height is due to the difference in carts.
edw

Postby husafreak » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:55 pm

Yes, I am also running a ProJect Leather It mat which is pretty thick. I don't want to give that up, I really like it. I did send an email with pics to Carlo. Today was a real treat. I've been spinning discs all day, in and out of the house doing stuff in the back yard, even just continuing to type or read for a few minutes after the record ends, letting the Tru-Lift do its thing. After 30 years of manual lifting this is a novel experience! I picked out some records with narrow run outs to really fine tune the placement, I think I've got it perfect. I tried to add an iPhone video but the forum won't allow it. It works though.
husafreak

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum