Custom Tru-Lift ... To the Rescue ('tables with 9" arms)

Custom Tru-Lift ... To the Rescue ('tables with 9" arms)

Postby edw » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Like many others, I had a tonearm lift (Q-up) on my VPI table (Scout II). It worked reasonably well and all was well with the world. I could listen to an LP without worrying about having to quickly lift the stylus at the end of each side.

But when I started using a VPI periphery ring on the Scout II, I could no longer use the Q-Up because there was no longer enough space for it. In fact, when I inquired with all of the current tonearm lift manufacturers, none of them made anything that would fit. I believe this issue is unique to the VPI tables with the 9" arm, classic platter, and periphery ring (e.g., Aries, Scout II, Prime Scout(?), etc.). You could use a tonearm lift or use a periphery ring, but not both.

No periphery ring, enough room...

With periphery ring, very little room...

But in speaking with Carlos at Tru-Lift, he said that he could try to make a custom solution. We had a few discussions to get the measurements right so that his custom Tru-Lift tonearm lift would work and still provide some adjustments. A nicely packaged box with the custom Tru-Lift came quickly. Some photos of the elegant solution so that the custom Tru-Lift could fit while still using the periphery ring...

While the tolerances are very tight, it works like a charm! The main body of the Tru-Lift slides beneath the ring a bit to provide enough space for the lift to work. Because of the lip on the periphery ring, there is no clearance issue when I place or remove the ring, even though it looks tight. I was surprised that installing/removing could be done very easily. The ring clears the lift bar on the Tru-Lift. Just need to make sure the lift bar is in its proper place perpendicular to the tonearm. The triggering antenna is behind the lift bar (unlike the standard Tru-Lifts) and is triggered by the black tonearm shaft extension from the unipivot cover of the tonearm. Works well. I can store the ring on the platter without an LP; I can use the ring on an LP. No clearance issues. In action, the tonearm is lifted quietly and gently at the end of each side. All is well with the world again! The adjustment of the height and triggering mechanism work really well also.

I'm putting it through its paces now using various LPs and thicknesses. It is a great - and the only - solution for those of us that previously had to choose between a tonearm lift or a periphery ring but couldn't have both. Thanks to Carlos and some custom fabrication, you can have - and enjoy - both, with Tru-Lift. It's so great to have a manufacturer like this help and find a solution. Kinda like VPI :) . Makes listening that much more enjoyable.

Kudos to Carlos and Tru-Lift.
Last edited by edw on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
edw

Re: Custom Tru-Lift ... To the Rescue

Postby husafreak » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Thank you very much for this elegant solution! I may be contacting Tru Lift soon :)
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Re: Custom Tru-Lift ... To the Rescue ('tables with 9" arms)

Postby baddog » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 am

Thank you so much for sharing Ed, great pictures too.
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby edw » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:53 pm

baddog wrote:Thank you so much for sharing Ed, great pictures too.

Thanks, it's working real well. And the pics were taken with a smartphone, go figure.
edw

Postby edw » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:29 am

Video of it in action...

phpBB [video]
edw

Postby Johnny » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 am

Very nice. Did Tru-lift up charge you for the modification?
Johnny

Postby edw » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm

I purchased my custom Tru Lift. There was no upcharge. Id speak to Carlos at Tru Lift for more info.
edw

Postby husafreak » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 pm

I just purchased this lift for my Scout 2 at no upcharge.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby edw » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Husafreak, enjoy! Your gonna love how it simply works. Another video, this time of installing and removing the ring.

phpBB [video]
edw

Postby baddog » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Pretty smooth with that ring!

Got a Dual Pivot on there too, or not?
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Next

Return to Support Forum