Prime - SDS startup issue

Re: Prime - SDS startup issue

Postby MichaelBettinger » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Ducky wrote:
MichaelBettinger wrote: There are no thermal issues, it solves the problem and it's fully tested ...

Hmmm...how much testing could you do in a day and a half? :lol:

We had an SDS come in with the problem 4-5 months ago. I tested the fix in my shop SDS. I put the modified SDS into one of the slots in my ADS test run-in rack and let it run for a around a week, checking the heatsink temperature with my IR gun when the spirit moved me to. There were no issues.

Regards, Michael
MichaelBettinger

Postby Phoenix Engineering » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:47 pm

MichaelBettinger wrote:We had an SDS come in with the problem 4-5 months ago. I tested the fix in my shop SDS. I put the modified SDS into one of the slots in my ADS test run-in rack and let it run for a around a week, checking the heatsink temperature with my IR gun when the spirit moved me to. There were no issues.

Regards, Michael

Wow, that's really interesting Michael. So 4-5 months ago, huh? I guess that would be in October of 2016? Here's the part I'm having trouble understanding: Since you had this fix last fall, why wouldn't you let your dealers know about it? According to Abixler's OP, he specifically asked Sound Stage Direct about any issues there may be with a year and half old SDS working with a Prime. Even after he reported the problem, it doesn't sound as if SSD knew about the problem or the fix. Also, I wonder why Mat didn't chime in on Sunday or Monday when he was posting on other threads. Does he know about the fix? I would have thought that finding a fix for a problem that evaded a solution (and even a correct diagnosis) for almost 20 years would have been met with a little more fan fare, but congratulations for doing so on your own.

Just one more thing, when forum member Schugh posted about the same problem with his 18 month old SDS in late August, why was no one able to help him? http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7824#p25616

It looks as if VPI was unable to repair his SDS 3 months later and replaced it in December with a brand new ADS. http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7834&start=50#p29060. I would've thought replacing a $1.50 component would have been more cost effective (especially since you have them in stock), but kudos for stepping up in a big way! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Phoenix Engineering on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed..." --Nietzsche
Phoenix Engineering

Postby thegage » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Trolling VPI, yet again. "Not that I'm saying VPI was hiding problems from their customers, but it appears to me that VPI was hiding problems from their customers."
thegage

Postby WntrMute » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:25 pm

Boy this thread has deteriorated.
WntrMute

Postby rateourmover » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:26 pm

I copy this from my September 13th, 2016 (I think) reply to Phoenix Engineering's post in the Harry's Corner 'ADS' thread .

To be clear – I detect haughtiness and snideness in the style of Phoenix Engineering’s posts. I don’t admire their use of it or agree their business decision to adopt it. For me, it devalues the persuasiveness of the technical stance they take and so, in the absence of clear evidence, I’ve decided I won’t buy their products. In addition, although never having met any of their decision-makers, I’m afraid on this evidence I simply don’t like them

This style of post is no longer a very poor business decision. Phoenix Engineering has since gone belly-up. It's still snide and still disagreeable - even though it's only a corpse twitching.

I'm sorry your business failed. We need as much healthy competition as possible. Unfortunately, your posture isn't healthy and I do wish you'd just go away and leave an informative and friendly Forum to get on with what we enjoy writing and reading.
SuperScoutMstrRef. Terracone feet onto Symposium Ultra. Mystic Mat, 3belts, Lyra Skala, Dorian mono, MusicMaker III Moving Iron. HRX & Stillpoints LP1 wts. Hovland HP200P & Radia. (HP100 & Sapphire in their boxes. Interested ?)
rateourmover

Location: Deepest, darkest, northwest Herefordshire - close to the Welsh border.

Postby abixler » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

I would like to again thank all,for their help and suggestions as to how to deal with my SDS issue. I would like to to let all know that the SDS is at VPI for their review and repair. As I stated in my earlier post, all I wanted was to be able to use the $1200.00 SDS to power up the $4000.00 turntable that I just purchased. Phoenix Engineering's comment as to Sound Stage Direct was correct. They were contacted last Monday about the issue and their turntable set up man was unaware of any SDS power up issues with VPI turntables. Again, before my Prime purchase, I did make it clear that I would be using an SDS with the turntable and was told there should be no issues. I have not received any return telephone call as yet letting me know that they contacted VPI about the issue. I agree that the dealers should be made aware of this potential issue so as to advise the customer that there may be a problem. I still would have purchased the Prime table, but would not have had to come to this forum to get a resolution to my issue. I would like to thank Mike B. at VPI for indeed reviewing my issue and suggesting the unit be returned to VPI for review/repair. I suppose when you spend $5000.00 for electronics you would hope the bugs would be worked out as both products have been around for more than a year. I would indeed recommend VPI to any of my audio friends even with the issue I have had. When you find a company who performs customer service as they have for me, they will get my vote. I indeed would hope that this thread would not deteriorate to just name calling and disrespect to each other. I would like to make a suggestion to VPI's Mat W., that he would post a stickies in the support section as to this potential issue, so it would be easier to find an answer, as to how to address this issue.
Allen B.

P.S. - Hope to get the unit back by next weekend. Will post the results of the repair then.
abixler

Postby teenage diplomat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:31 pm

Thegage, Phoenix Engineering didn't go belly-up. Its owner/founder simply decided he had had enough and he shut the door after his last spoken-for production run. And I wouldn't call PE a troll either; he has been very generous with technical suggestions Regarding problems some in this thread have suffered. Now I'll agree that the tone of some PE posts has been a bit snarky, which IMHO is a function of "history" between PE and HW. But even with the snark, PE makes some points that are worthy of examination. Moreover, PE is far from the only contributor to this forum who has had voiced critical opinions; several long-term VPI customers have commented on persistent QC issues that seem to have been created by the company's rapid expansion. So while you certainly are entitled to your opinion, I'd advise you not to disregard the message while you shoot the messenger. Just my $.02
teenage diplomat

Postby Mat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:57 am

Chicken Little strikes again. I can assure you, the sky is not falling...

The problem abixler is having with his SDS is an extremely rare circumstance. Out of the thousands of SDS units in the world only a handful have ever showed these signs.

The repair has been made and Mike is currently running the unit in his office and putting it through the standard tests.

Chicken Little feel free to twist my words around like you twist everyone else's until we are forced to ban you. You are a guest on this forum, please be mindful respectful and cut the passive aggressive posts out.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby abixler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am

Mat wrote:Chicken Little strikes again. I can assure you, the sky is not falling...

The problem abixler is having with his SDS is an extremely rare circumstance. Out of the thousands of SDS units in the world only a handful have ever showed these signs.

The repair has been made and Mike is currently running the unit in his office and putting it through the standard tests.

Chicken Little feel free to twist my words around like you twist everyone else's until we are forced to ban you. You are a guest on this forum, please be mindful respectful and cut the passive aggressive posts out.

Mat,

Thanks for the update on the status of my repair. Would it be possible to get an email from VPI with the tracking number when the unit is shipped back. Thanks again for your help and also thanks to Marc and Mike in resolving my issue.

abixler
abixler

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:51 am

Good lord, Bill. I certainly admire your technical ability and contributions to the DIY scene, but that response was rude as hell, and a bit hypocritical given your choice to close up shop on your own company without any warning. Geez, man. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. :/
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum