On/Off switch capacitors

Re: On/Off switch capacitors

Postby Marc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 am

cbl117 wrote:Why doesn't VPI just ship their tables with the correct capacitor value to begin with??

From my understanding the capacitor we send out normally works with the majority of the systems out there. If we were to change it more of the majority of the systems would need a capacitor change. It's only about 3% of the systems that need this capacitor instead.

Keep in mind this is a rough estimate from experience and not an actual number. Just clarifying for you know who 8-)

I remember speaking with a pre-amp manufacturer at CES and asked him why the pop happens in some systems and not others. When he heard that people change inputs without muting their system first his face turned white as if he saw a ghost :lol:

Overall, if you need a repalcement capacitor just shoot me an email (marc@vpiindustries.com) and I'll get one sent out right away :)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby kevinheem » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:06 pm

kevinheem wrote:The only X1/Y2 rated cap I have on hand is 3300pf. Anyone know if this would work?

I opened up the motor enclosure and found a 1000pf cap across the switch...I replaced it with the 3300pf and no more pop.
Prime turntable w/ Shelter 501 MKII
PassDiy Pearl II phono
DIY DHT preamp using 45 tubes
PassDiy BA-3FE preamp
Diy FirstWatt F5, F4, and M2 amplifiers
Focal 826W
kevinheem

Postby brianmch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 am

My Classic power switch was popping on turn-off. Marc sent a much larger one to me within a day of asking about it and it solved the problem immediately.

Thanks Marc!
brianmch

Postby Marc » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm

brianmch wrote:My Classic power switch was popping on turn-off. Marc sent a much larger one to me within a day of asking about it and it solved the problem immediately.

Thanks Marc!

You are welcome! I am happy to hear that the problem was solved immediately.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby bslee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 pm

kevinheem wrote:
kevinheem wrote:The only X1/Y2 rated cap I have on hand is 3300pf. Anyone know if this would work?

I opened up the motor enclosure and found a 1000pf cap across the switch...I replaced it with the 3300pf and no more pop.

I used to have pop with the Classic 1 (230V/50hz export version) from new, also fitted with a 0.01uf poly type capacitor. I researched around and found Goldring Lenco folks replacing their aged ones with new 3300pf Class X1/Y2 ones. I tried it and it worked. 3900pf will also work. From experience there's no universal value type, various hifi equipment through the ages had all sorts, many looked common and nothing special. No indication they're of suppression specs. I reckon Class XY suppression specs does the trick.
bslee

Postby pvannest » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Now that I understand that it is just 3% of the tables sold, that makes me feel better. I am in that 3% and the cap I was sent fixed the issue.....
Now that said, I am curious. What is unique about 3% of the systems. Any guess?
VPI Classic 2 with Classic 3 arm
Soundsmith Boheme
Project RPM 1.3 with Acrilic platter and speedbox
Sumiko EVO III
Bottlehead Eros with Mundorf output caps
Bottlehead BePree
Two mismatched 12" subs
Emotiva SPA2
Cambridge Topaz CD10
Magnepan 3.7i
pvannest

Previous