Static Discharge from Prime

Re: Static Discharge from Prime

Postby 10ovr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:45 am

Bill Stevenson wrote:
10ovr wrote:I ground my spindle nut to the phono pre amp ground and it stopped the same problem you have or you can remove the wall plug cover and go stright to the copper wire ground,,Just a thought

That is a good thought. Thanks. Do you use a periphery ring? The reason for asking is that my problem may coincide with a recently added periphery ring and stainless steel is a poor conductor.

Yes I do,,I also use a deerskin matt ,,I was getting zapped good till I grounded the spindle to the pre amp,,,,
10ovr

Postby Harry » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Grounding the main bearing is always a good idea in the winter months. I put a ground on my bearing and run it to the junction box ground which then goes to the phono ground on a three prong grounded phono section. If your phono has a two prong plug go to another unit that has a real ground or touch the motor case that is grounded.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby dancinbert » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:20 pm

Harry wrote:Grounding the main bearing is always a good idea in the winter months. I put a ground on my bearing and run it to the junction box ground which then goes to the phono ground on a three prong grounded phono section. If your phono has a two prong plug go to another unit that has a real ground or touch the motor case that is grounded.

HW

What is the main bearing? I have a Prime and not sure what that is. A picture would be great if not too much trouble. Thank you, Glenn
dancinbert

Postby WntrMute » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:28 pm

The main bearing is that shaft the platter spins on. There is a big nut ( thingie with threads inside ) holding it to the plinth ( body ). Attaching a wire with an alligator clip and grounding that should eliminate static. Works great on my TNT. Just ran a bare braided copper wire from that shafty thing to the housing of the motor (spinny thing). Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'd take a picture of my TNT but it holds no resemblance to your prime. No harm intended :lol:
WntrMute

Postby TomD » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:55 pm

There is a photo that shows the bearing here. It is underneath the table where you will want to ground, so most photos don't show it.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1041&hilit=bearing+nut
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby dancinbert » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:04 pm

Thank you TomD and WntrMute, much appreciated. I'm still not sure how to attach an alligator clip (which we have plenty of alligators in Louisiana) to the main bering, but I definitely have a better understanding of what we are taling about.
dancinbert

Postby Harry » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:04 am

If you have a metal nut supporting the bearing to the chassis just wrap wire around it and run that wire to a good ground. If you have a black Delrin nut tape the ground wire to the bottom of the aluminum shaft in the center of the black nut. In two months you will be removing it anyways, this is 99% of the time a winter effect.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby dancinbert » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Thank you
dancinbert

Postby Bill Stevenson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:50 pm

This is a follow-up report. Grounding the bearing support to a true ground was the solution. I want to thank everyone who chipped in to help.

Bill
Bill Stevenson

Postby Dustysdawg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:19 pm

This grounding solution worked for me too. I do have the delrin nut, but I found that the platter spindle shaft also has internal threads on the bottom. So, I added a small bolt and a solderless connector with a wire to the junction box. Now my platter is grounded through the junction box through the preamp. My neighbor also machined me a 3 1/2 inch polished aluminum nut to replace the delrin nut. It looks awesome. I will post a picture when I get back in town.

I would say that the static problem that Harry mentions is only during the winter months is not the case for folks that live in SoCal. It's dry here all the time, and Heating or AC increases the static problem dramatically. This makes it a year round problem. Any idea why these heavy aluminum platters are not grounded at the factory? That would have eliminated a few months of headaches and troubleshooting on my part.
Dustysdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum