Static Discharge from Prime

Re: Static Discharge from Prime

Postby MOON » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:29 pm

I would get a Furutech destat and call it a day. I use the destat2, there is now a destat 3 which is even better. I use it on all records before playing them and no problems. I also replace all record sleeves with mobile fidelity anti static sleeves.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby Lewisranchmike » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 pm

MOON wrote:I would get a Furutech destat and call it a day. I use the destat2, there is now a destat 3 which is even better. I use it on all records before playing them and no problems. I also replace all record sleeves with mobile fidelity anti static sleeves.

Hello Moon:

I just received my Destat II. Do you apply above record while in your hand and move it around or do you apply it while it is on turntable platter? May I ask your procedure?

Best,

Mike
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby tmurray619 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:45 am

I realize this is an old thread but here's my 2 cents. This appears to be cart specific. I've have had a Lyra Helikon for the past 3 years and have never experienced this problem. The Helicon recently failed so as a temporary replacement I got a Ortofon 2m blue which I absolutely love except for the 10 second discharge. Thanks Harry for the main bearing idea, I'll try it out tomorrow.
VPI Scout Classic Special Sig, Ortofon Quintet Black, PS Audio Nuwave Phono, Oppo BDP-95, Emotiva XSP-1 Gen2, Sunfire Load Invariant amps x2, Magneplanar MG3.3r, Magneplanar MG3A, other custom speakers, custom made 15" sub driven by a Bryson 4b NRB.
tmurray619

Postby tmurray619 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:59 pm

Grounding the main bearing to the tonearm ground did the trick. I think that most vinyl surface noise on a clean record is static. Every record I took off the platter resulted in an explosive discharge unless I muted, so much so that it would knock out the left channel of my PS Audio Newave phono preamp. Fortunately circuit protection is built in. Now, with the new ground, removing the record is silent. Thanks again Harry.
tmurray619

Postby mitchlim » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 pm

In winter, Sydney Australia the humidity can drop as low as 30, and I had this problem until I bought this Furutech destat and earth grounding under the bearing, which solved my issue.

I always use the Destat to blow the vinyl before and after play (before I take off from the turntable).
mitchlim

Postby Bill Stevenson » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Wow, this is an old thread. It might also be more of a problem in some geographical locations than others. I am in South Florida and the problem is on-going but manageable at this time. The solution for me involves proper grounding of the arm and platter, the religious use of a Furutech Destat III on each record (this is done before play of side one, and usually after play of side 2 with the record off the platter), and I never wear shoes when playing records. Let me explain this last one. Shoes isolate me from ground and our body can build up enough static charge to cause problems. I have found that in my home no shoes while standing on a tile floor that is covering a cement slab dissipates enough static to avoid trouble. But if any element in this static management approach is compromised ... ZAP. So: 1. ground the arm, cartridge and platter, 2. Use a static neutralizer like the Furutech before each play, and 3. Ground yourself if you suspect you are contributing static energy when you touch your turntable (more common than you think).
Bill Stevenson

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:41 am

I believe, based on empirical evidence in my own systems, that

if the platter is at a different potential than the cartridge, and

if the cantilever is conducting, and

if the vinyl is in direct contact with the platter, then

it is possible, depending on the potential difference,

for current to pass from platter to cartridge, leaving behind a pit in the vinyl, which

permanently manifests itself on subsequent playbacks, as a Rice Krispie level snap, crackle, pop.
Peer Gynt

Postby Eaddy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:49 am

I'm hearing the same crackle or a pop on my system too. This sounds like a bit of a stretch though, but maybe you're right. Does the crackle appear every time after those conditions are met?
Eaddy

Postby Beck » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Bill Stevenson wrote:Wow, this is an old thread. It might also be more of a problem in some geographical locations than others. I am in South Florida and the problem is on-going but manageable at this time. The solution for me involves proper grounding of the arm and platter, the religious use of a Furutech Destat III on each record (this is done before play of side one, and usually after play of side 2 with the record off the platter), and I never wear shoes when playing records. Let me explain this last one. Shoes isolate me from ground and our body can build up enough static charge to cause problems. I have found that in my home no shoes while standing on a tile floor that is covering a cement slab dissipates enough static to avoid trouble. But if any element in this static management approach is compromised ... ZAP. So: 1. ground the arm, cartridge and platter, 2. Use a static neutralizer like the Furutech before each play, and 3. Ground yourself if you suspect you are contributing static energy when you touch your turntable (more common than you think).

Would you share how you ground your arm and platter?
Prime #16-67| Dual Pivot | Ortofon Cadenza Black | ADS | Ayre P-5xe phono preamp, K-5xe preamp, and V-5xe amp | Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects and Testament speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Postby MOON » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 am

20181116_154727.jpg
20181116_154727.jpg (647.6 KiB) Viewed 209 times
20181116_154801.jpg
20181116_154801.jpg (617.12 KiB) Viewed 209 times
I bought an arm with a small brush on the end that goes on the record as it rotates gor $35.00 It is grounded and totally removes static as the record plays. I also bought an air room purifier with a heppa filter.

Due to the height of the VPI platter and Funk firm mat I had to put something under the arm base to get added height even when the unit was at full height extension.

I used a left over base from my tru lift which fits the bill perfectly. You can see it in the one picture. There is a small weight on the arm which slides so you find the proper point where it should be, then put a small amount of stick beside it so it doesn't shift.

I keep the filter on high at all times and turn it to low while listening. The filter has decreased dust in the air by a massive amount. Quite frankly I was surprised with what I heard after installing the grounded arm static remover.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Previous

Return to Support Forum