Static Discharge from Prime

Static Discharge from Prime

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:39 pm

The problem is very strong single electrostatic discharges coming from my Prime. The cartridge is a Cadenza Black. The discharges occur when the arm/cartridge is cued onto the record and come one at a time at intervals of 1 discharge every 1-2 seconds up to about 1 discharge per 10-15 seconds. They are strong enough to make me worry about speaker damage. With each loud "POP" the bias LEDs on my amp all light up simultaneously. When the arm is lifted off the record the discharges cease instantly. The amp is a cj ARTsa, the phono stage is a cj TEA2MAX, and the line stage is a cj ET5. If I replace the Prime with my KAB SL1200 (2M Black), the problem vanishes. I tried demagnetizing the Cadenza Black to no avail. Everything is grounded and there is no hum or other evidence that this is a ground loop. I have not switched cartridges, but have several others I could try. Also, I use a Zerostat to neutralize any static before each record is put on the turntable. It might be static build up on the platter, which I don't know how to check or eliminate. Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

Bill
Bill Stevenson

Re: Static Discharge from Prime

Postby Marc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Hello Bill,

I am sorry to hear that you are having a electrostatic problem. Do you have carpet or hard wood floors? Have you tried to ground yourself before handling the turntable?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Gary1955 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Bill, I highly recommend buying a Jake's deerskin leather turntable mat thru Amazon.com
This is a beautifully hand made mat, has a leather side and a suede side, and sounds great. This mat has eliminated
a horrible static electricity problem I had been having with my Classic platter. Cost of this mat is $40. I found the suede side to
work better with removing static, but an now using the leather side. The mat works with a periphery clamp
and center weight/clamp. You may also try hooking up a ground wire from the platter bolt and nut below the plinth, although this didn't work for me.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Marc wrote:Hello Bill,

I am sorry to hear that you are having a electrostatic problem. Do you have carpet or hard wood floors? Have you tried to ground yourself before handling the turntable?

Concrete slab covered with slate tile. I tried bare feet last night. No dice. I am not experiencing shocks when I walk around and touch other things around the house either.
Bill Stevenson

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Am I correct that these noises occur when the needle is simply resting on a record, which is not being played, or is there a record always being played. You say that the noises occur at regular intervals. If the noises occur only when a record is being played, are you clear that the noises are not the result of surface imperfections on the record. I assume you are running two ground wires from your table.

Do you have a second source. If so, do the noises occur with that source. If the noises occur only with the turntable, have you checked to see whether a faulty capacitor in the phono preamp is leaking DC. That can cause "pops". If the noises also occur with another source, the same could be true of your line preamp and, perhaps, your phono preamp as well. If the noises occur only with the table and your line preamp has a phono input, try plugging the table directly into the line pre to see whether you still get the noises.
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Orchids1 wrote:Am I correct that these noises occur when the needle is simply resting on a record, which is not being played, or is there a record always being played."

Answer: Record is being played. These are not pops and clicks due to surface imperfections. These are loud electrostatic discharges.

"You say that the noises occur at regular intervals."

Answer: No they are not coming at regular intervals, random and irregular.

"...I assume you are running two ground wires from your table."

Answer: No, one from the back of the tonearm to the grounding post on the back of the phono preamp.

'Do you have a second source. If so, do the noises occur with that source. If the noises occur only with the turntable, have you checked to see whether a faulty capacitor in the phono preamp is leaking DC. That can cause "pops". If the noises also occur with another source, the same could be true of your line preamp and, perhaps, your phono preamp as well. If the noises occur only with the table and your line preamp has a phono input, try plugging the table directly into the line pre to see whether you still get the noises.

"Other sources exist including the KAB SL 1200 turntable mentioned in my originating post. Others include a McIntosh MR78 tuner, and a Sony HAP-Z1ES music server. The problem is confined exclusively to the Prime.
Bill Stevenson

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:13 pm

I'd try running two grounds and using an anti-static mat, because they're easy and may work. However, based on what you describe, namely, the severity of the "pops", I don't think that will fix the problem. I'd consider the phono preamp as the possible source.
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby WntrMute » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:39 pm

I would try a ground wire run from the bearing housing or nut directly to a ground point like a cold water copper pipe or the screw on the faceplate of the wall receptacle. Get a spool of flexible wire and two alligator clips from radio shack or the hardware store and experiment.
WntrMute

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:18 pm

"... I'd consider the phono preamp as the possible source.[/quote]

That can't be it because if the phono preamp were the problem it would show up on both turntables, but it only shows up on the Prime. You do understand that the KAB SL1200 is a turntable?
Bill Stevenson

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:20 pm

WntrMute wrote:I would try a ground wire run from the bearing housing or nut directly to a ground point like a cold water copper pipe or the screw on the faceplate of the wall receptacle. Get a spool of flexible wire and two alligator clips from radio shack or the hardware store and experiment.

That makes sense. Thanks.
Bill Stevenson

Next

Return to Support Forum