Classic II Maintenance

Classic II Maintenance

Postby jllaudio » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm approaching the 1st year of ownership of a bought new Classic II and was hoping there is a video on the suggested yearly maintenance of the Classic II?

Thanks
Classic II, Dynavector XX2MKII, Bob's Devices 1131 Blue SUT, Graham Slee Reflex phono-pre, Wyred4Sound - STP-SE Stage II Mod Pre-Amp, Wyred4Sound SX1000 Mono-Bloc's, Magnepan 3.6R Speakers, Magnepan CC3 and MC1's, OPPO PM-1 Headphones, Lyr Hdphone AMP.
jllaudio

Re: Classic II Maintenance

Postby Brf » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:22 pm

1) Clean and re-lube the main bearing with lithium grease
2) Place one drop of light weight oil below the brass colar on the motor shaft
3) Place the o-ring drive belt into boiling water for 20 seconds
4) Clean the phono rca and ground connections
5) Clean the cartridge pin connectors
6) Check the table for level
7) Check the table for correct speed

Optional

1) Clean the aluminum platter with a metal polish
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jllaudio » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:08 pm

Brf:
The reason I asked for a video is half the things you described, I have no idea where they are located. It would help to see someone work through the total annual maintenance process.
Classic II, Dynavector XX2MKII, Bob's Devices 1131 Blue SUT, Graham Slee Reflex phono-pre, Wyred4Sound - STP-SE Stage II Mod Pre-Amp, Wyred4Sound SX1000 Mono-Bloc's, Magnepan 3.6R Speakers, Magnepan CC3 and MC1's, OPPO PM-1 Headphones, Lyr Hdphone AMP.
jllaudio

Postby hopper » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:51 am

I'm with jllaudio. Forgive those of us who are not mechanically inclined. You can find all kinds of videos on YouTube showing you how to change a light bulb, but nothing on how to maintain our $3,000+ instrument from VPI. It would be nice if VPI could do a 3-minute video on these important maintenance procedures.

Meanwhile, I have a related question. I'm trying to find "white lithium grease" on Amazon. There are around 100+ varieties. Could you please let us know which one in particular you might recommend? For example:

Super Lube 92003 Silicone Lubricating Grease with PTFE, 3 oz Tube

or:

Super Lube Synthetic Grease with Syncolon Multi Purpose Lubricant 3 oz

or

Jet-Lube 50350 Lithium Grease with PTFE, 0 to 450 degrees F, 2 NLGI Number, 14 oz Cartridge, White: Industrial & Scientific

?

We could really use some more guidance on which grease to use.
hopper

Postby macster » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:11 pm

I WAS using this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lucas-Oil-8-oz-White-Lithium-Grease-10533/202535870 and still have a ton of it left.

BUT, I went ahead and purchased the VPI Superlube, and called it a day. I actually like the Superlube better, go figure. There are some other cost effective alternatives, but I just went with the VPI recommendation.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby Brf » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:54 pm

Go to any highend bicycle shop and puchase white lithium grease with either 1) ceramic or 2) PTFE (teflon) use for high performance race bearings.

Stay away from silicone grease as silicone migrates and is tough to remove if it get on belt, pulleys etc.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby hopper » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:25 pm

BRF, as luck would have it I am a cyclist as well as audiophile and I have two kinds of grease already in hand: the Phil Wood bearing grease in the green tube and Finish Line teflon fluoropolymer grease (in a white tube). It sounds like you're recommending the Finish Line grease? Thank you!
hopper

Postby Brf » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:20 pm

hopper wrote:BRF, as luck would have it I am a cyclist as well as audiophile and I have two kinds of grease already in hand: the Phil Wood bearing grease in the green tube and Finish Line teflon fluoropolymer grease (in a white tube). It sounds like you're recommending the Finish Line grease? Thank you!

Great lubricant, you are good to go!!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby asanalaskan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:41 pm

If you are not mechanically inclined and not sure of the components of your $3000 TT I would recommend having a professional/knowledgeable friend do the work and walk you through it so you can DIY next time around if you are comfortable doing so, JMO. A video would be great resource for those that have some mechanical ability and want to take care of their own maintenance.
asanalaskan

Postby Mat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

Everything Brf said is dead on but also if you haven't seen the Prime video yet that can help give you an idea, different table but still similar. We are working on a video for the Classic as well so stay tuned :)

Prime Setup Video
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support Forum