2) Place one drop of light weight oil below the brass colar on the motor shaft
3) Place the o-ring drive belt into boiling water for 20 seconds
4) Clean the phono rca and ground connections
5) Clean the cartridge pin connectors
6) Check the table for level
7) Check the table for correct speed

Optional

1) Clean the aluminum platter with a metal polish

Hello All - Looking to perform some maintenance over the holidays on my Prime turntable per the great information provided by Brf - Have already carried out step 1 although I forgot to clean the main bearing - but I would assume I am OK for not doing so.

Question I have, is regarding step 2. Where does one place the light weight oil exactly? Do any of you have a picture showing exactly where you place the oil and also, any recommendations of a brand of oil and where I can pick up to perform this step?

Thanks in advance as always and Happy Holidays! :)

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Re: Classic II Maintenance

Postby suntea » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Brf wrote:
hopper wrote:BRF, as luck would have it I am a cyclist as well as audiophile and I have two kinds of grease already in hand: the Phil Wood bearing grease in the green tube and Finish Line teflon fluoropolymer grease (in a white tube). It sounds like you're recommending the Finish Line grease? Thank you!

Great lubricant, you are good to go!!

Brf, Is the Finish line grease mentioned by hopper above preferable to the Lucas Oil grease pictured above? Or are they equal? I need to buy some and want to make sure I get the right thing. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 pm

suntea wrote:
Brf wrote:
hopper wrote:BRF, as luck would have it I am a cyclist as well as audiophile and I have two kinds of grease already in hand: the Phil Wood bearing grease in the green tube and Finish Line teflon fluoropolymer grease (in a white tube). It sounds like you're recommending the Finish Line grease? Thank you!

Great lubricant, you are good to go!!

Brf, Is the Finish line grease mentioned by hopper above preferable to the Lucas Oil grease pictured above? Or are they equal? I need to buy some and want to make sure I get the right thing. Thanks.

I use Finish Line and can also recommend Super Lube https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3-oz-Tube-Synthetic-Grease-with-Syncolon-PTFE-21030/202932687

The Mobil 1 synthetic oil pictured below is used for oil bath bearings
Attachments
FD72FAC7-308C-4448-B783-F8B1DE8AC1DE.jpeg
FD72FAC7-308C-4448-B783-F8B1DE8AC1DE.jpeg (641.71 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jllaudio » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Is it easy to identify the brass collar?

2) Place one drop of light weight oil below the brass colar on the motor shaft
Classic II, Dynavector XX2MKII, Bob's Devices 1131 Blue SUT, Graham Slee Reflex phono-pre, Wyred4Sound - STP-SE Stage II Mod Pre-Amp, Wyred4Sound SX1000 Mono-Bloc's, Magnepan 3.6R Speakers, Magnepan CC3 and MC1's, OPPO PM-1 Headphones, Lyr Hdphone AMP.
jllaudio

Postby suntea » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 am

I use Finish Line and can also recommend Super Lube https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3-oz-Tube-Synthetic-Grease-with-Syncolon-PTFE-21030/202932687

The Mobil 1 synthetic oil pictured below is used for oil bath bearings[/quote]
Thank you! I appreciate your knowledge and helpfulness.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

Previous

Return to Support Forum