TNT Resurrection.

Re: TNT Resurrection.

Postby Brf » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:45 am

Great work and well done. I look forward to the finished project.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby theeng » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:59 am

Wow! Given what it did look like (near death) with just some sweat equity you were able to 'revive" it. Your results are some ways a testament to the robustness of the design that is one for ages.

FWIW - if you follow the recommendation of Brf and do not use the tri-idler, you can find caps that can fit in the holes (they should be 1.25") or you may be able to find at your locale decorative fender washers such as the following - https://www.kartek.com/parts/kartek-off ... -bolt.html ; for the step you can use rubber o-ring to increase the step diameter to better fit the hole. Then just through bolt - use a nylon or fiber washer on the bottom to protect the plinth finish. This is similar to what I did with with my TNT (but I added two holes & a AL plate to the bottom of the plinth). You can see the results here - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13439#p58079.
theeng

Postby thegage » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:51 pm

When I bought my TNT used about ten years ago it still had the tri-pulley system, I think it adds more noise than performance improvement, and ditched it soon after. At the time VPI had the required plugs to fill the holes. They may no longer, but it's worth asking.

JohnK

TNT 2, Classic platter, Periphery Ring, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Fatboy 12 Gimbal, Hana ML, Moon 310LP, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium pre, PrimaLuna Evo 300 amp, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth sub
thegage

Postby Pops110 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks fellas, it’s coming up very nice.
I will probably go without the tri pulley set up but it would be nice to have the option to be able to use it. Can anyone supply me with photos of the internal of the pulleys and dimensions. I was thinking it may be an option to 3D print the pulleys and use a ball bearing in the top.
I will look into the options for covers.
Speakers- Audio Physic Classic 20
Preamp- Line Magnetic VV3
Power amp- Musical Fidelity A5cr
Source- Bluesound Vault 2i
Dac- Geek Pulse S Infinity
Cables- XLO reference and signature.
Power- Gigawatt
Rack- I made myself with Quadraspire legs
Pops110

Postby 930turbo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:28 pm

thegage wrote:When I bought my TNT used about ten years ago it still had the tri-pulley system, I think it adds more noise than performance improvement, and ditched it soon after. At the time VPI had the required plugs to fill the holes. They may no longer, but it's worth asking.

JohnK

Harry W. gave me a tip we’re to buy it . You can buy the hole filling plugs from McMaster & Carr . However I don’t remember what they call it and the catalog no. I paid $10 for 100 pieces . I gave a lot of them away to my local VPI dealer and gave them as well to fellow VPI TNT owners . PM Harry and I’m sure he’ll be happy to help we’re you get them .
VPI TNT 6,Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X FatBoy uni 12,Lyra Kleos,ARC REF Annv 40 line ,REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A
930turbo

Postby 930turbo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:31 pm

Pops110 wrote:Thanks fellas, it’s coming up very nice.
I will probably go without the tri pulley set up but it would be nice to have the option to be able to use it. Can anyone supply me with photos of the internal of the pulleys and dimensions. I was thinking it may be an option to 3D print the pulleys and use a ball bearing in the top.
I will look into the options for covers.

Or just purchase / upgrade to the Classic Aluminum Platter w/c from time to time is available used or available brand new and call it a day , you’ll have one fantastic TNT .
VPI TNT 6,Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X FatBoy uni 12,Lyra Kleos,ARC REF Annv 40 line ,REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A
930turbo

Postby jeffro » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:13 am

Pops110, I have the exact same plinth as well as having the same platter (I replaced the platter with a Classic platter a few years back). I agree with 930turbo in regards to possibly upgrading to the Classic platter. It was by far the biggest upgrade I did to my TNT. I would start saving my pennies and upgrade the platter and forget about the tri pully. I have added some pics of the pully on the tri pully if you want to still go that route.
Attachments
Pully Length.jpg
Pully Length.jpg (108.69 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Pully Diameter.jpg
Pully Diameter.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Pully Bearing.jpg
Pully Bearing.jpg (136.74 KiB) Viewed 626 times
TNT.jpg
TNT.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 626 times
jeffro

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:53 am

To cover the plinth tri-pulley holes, you can purchase “plastic plug buttons” from most big box hardware stores. VPI uses the same covers.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Pops110 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:20 am

Hey Jeffro, thanks for that mate really appreciate it. Your VPI looks great, very nice.
The diy of them may be a little harder than I thought. Looks like plugs it is.
Will have a bit of a look around for some suitable ones.
On the off chance is does anyone have an older JMW 9 or 10 inch complete arm that they are looking to move on? Th budget won’t stretch to a new JMW.
Speakers- Audio Physic Classic 20
Preamp- Line Magnetic VV3
Power amp- Musical Fidelity A5cr
Source- Bluesound Vault 2i
Dac- Geek Pulse S Infinity
Cables- XLO reference and signature.
Power- Gigawatt
Rack- I made myself with Quadraspire legs
Pops110

Postby madrac » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:02 am

Hi Pops,
Sent you an email via this forum (I think it went) regarding the JMW10 arm.
In case it didn't go, I have one for sale. Listed on usaudiomart.
If you also need a base, I have the one that came with this arm (it's fixed - not VTA on-the-fly. also, not fluid damped).

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649 ... classic-1/

Let me know if interested.

Robert
Classic 1-3D arm, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook,
Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2,
Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum