New Super Scoutmaster SDS Owner - Help?

New Super Scoutmaster SDS Owner - Help?

Postby dannygold » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Hi all,

Just bought a minty Superscoutmaster with SDS and if you don't mind helping a newbie I would certainly appreciate it! BTW, amazing forum. Didn't know it even existed until I started looking for answers tonight.

So...

1) Everything is set up. Plays 33 records well but there is an oddity that I can't figure out: when I turn on the turntable and SDS to 33 the power turns on to 84/60.00, the sound is slowwwwwwwwwww. If I hit 45 on the SDS it goes to 102/ 81.06 the sound speeds up and is obviously too fast because it's a 33 record...but when I then hit the 33 button the TT goes to 115/60 slows down and plays the music perfectly. What am I doing wrong? No matter how many times I cold start the TT and SDS, if I hit 33 the speed is wrong. The only way to get it right is to go the 45 then 33 sequence. Is this an SDS calibration issue?

2) Curious to know, if one were to not use the SDS, can the TT be used standalone? If so, how does one change the speeds?

Any help would be appreciated. This turntable is spectacular looking btw.
dannygold

Re: New Super Scoutmaster SDS Owner - Help?

Postby coglesby » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:02 am

If you have the multi-speed pulley, for 45 RPM you move to the bottom which should be bigger around. If you don't have the multi-speed pulley you have to depend on the SDS.
AT-ART9 > VPI Classic 3 Tonearm > VPI Aries (1) > Liberty B2B > Sansui G-9000 > GoldenEar Triton Ones
coglesby

Postby Brf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:17 am

Left hand voltage display - When the SDS is first powered on, the startup voltage is displayed (115v) and then the voltage drops to a predefined steady state voltage stetting. In your case, this has been set at 84v for 33.33 rpm and 102v for 45 rpm. This is fine and no adjustment is needed

Right hand frequency display - the frequency is what determines the platter speed and can be user adjusted with the use of the up and down arrows. You can use a strobe, frequency, tachometer, etc and dial in the correct frequency that allows you to achieve 33.33 rpm. You do the same for 45rpm.

Make sure that your platter bearing is cleaned and lubricated to help reduce platter friction.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby macster » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:59 pm

dannygold wrote:Hi all,

Just bought a minty Superscoutmaster with SDS and if you don't mind helping a newbie I would certainly appreciate it! BTW, amazing forum. Didn't know it even existed until I started looking for answers tonight.

So...

1) Everything is set up. Plays 33 records well but there is an oddity that I can't figure out: when I turn on the turntable and SDS to 33 the power turns on to 84/60.00, the sound is slowwwwwwwwwww. If I hit 45 on the SDS it goes to 102/ 81.06 the sound speeds up and is obviously too fast because it's a 33 record...but when I then hit the 33 button the TT goes to 115/60 slows down and plays the music perfectly. What am I doing wrong? No matter how many times I cold start the TT and SDS, if I hit 33 the speed is wrong. The only way to get it right is to go the 45 then 33 sequence. Is this an SDS calibration issue?

2) Curious to know, if one were to not use the SDS, can the TT be used standalone? If so, how does one change the speeds?

Any help would be appreciated. This turntable is spectacular looking btw.

Would you be so kind as to post an image of your set up?

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby Stringreen » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:29 pm

I have a Superscoutmaster/rim drive SDS. I don't really care what the numbers say on the SDS, I use a strobe, app, etc. to find the proper setting for each of the speeds (arrow up, arrow down, and then don't touch it.
Stringreen

Postby tom collins » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:31 am

adjust plus with a test record provides a reading for 1000 hz. it makes a perfect tuning aid. if you have access to the record and the software.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, weight, 12.0, 12.7, 3d arms, SDS, SRA platform; Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, SS Gold Denon, Grado ME+ carts; Cary PH302/2 phono-pre; Cary 30i EL34 int. amp; Coincident Franks and preamp; Devore 88 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Return to Support Forum