Purchasing SMARTractor and Analog Magik

Purchasing SMARTractor and Analog Magik

Postby leftside » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:18 pm

I think I'm about ready to give up waiting for one of these to appear on the used market. Where did you guys get yours from? I'd like to purchase both together if possible.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Re: Purchasing SMARTractor and Analog Magik

Postby tony22 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Ironically, I purchased mine separately. I bought the SMARTractor used but in full retail condition from a local dealer, and I got AM at AXPONA from another dealer at a pretty great price. In my case I would not have bought these items at full retail.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby seamonster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:11 pm

I think it was spinblackcircle who posted this link a few months back -

https://www.analogueseduction.net/align ... -tool.html
seamonster

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51 am

leftside wrote:I think I'm about ready to give up waiting for one of these to appear on the used market. Where did you guys get yours from? I'd like to purchase both together if possible.

Both are 10% at Music Direct right now using code AS10:

https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/Acoustical-Systems-SMARTractor-Alignment-Tool
https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/?category=Accessories&brand=Analogmagik&sort=popularity%7CDESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

I would also check with Jeff Harris at Reference Analog, I think he's a dealer for possibly both.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Ryan Speakers R630, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby WntrMute » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Have you tried the Smartractor? I don't own one but I have tried one a few times and despite the implied accuracy of the magnifying reticle and the like, I still am never sure about having the pointer EXACTLY at the pivot point. Off any distance in any direction and the accuracy at the stylus is effected. I know there is an engraved disc you can hover over the pivot to help find the center but all these things are open to parallax error and judgement. I find the Mint protractor a far more precise tool in my hands. I ended up buying two from Yip. One was created for the published S-P distance and one I had made for the actual S-P distance which was 1mm shy of the correct distance as I measured it. I tried both to see if I could align the cartridge with both and found I could. Just my 2 cents.
Dave
WntrMute

Postby leftside » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:09 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby tony22 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:50 am

I have almost every alignment tool known to man :mrgreen:, and while the SMARTractor is arguably the most accurate and certainly the most flexible it can be, as WintrMute suggests, a bit difficult to use. The is especially true if you have a cart with a short cantilever that hides under the cartridge body. For most folks the Mint is a great choice and an excellent alternative (IMO).

AM can be used of course without having to have used SMARTractor to do the alignment.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby jonathanb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:24 am

Pretty much every alignment tool ever created will prove difficult to use if you have a cartridge with a short cantilever hidden by the body,
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby leftside » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:56 am

tony22 wrote:I have almost every alignment tool known to man :mrgreen:, and while the SMARTractor is arguably the most accurate and certainly the most flexible it can be, as WintrMute suggests, a bit difficult to use. The is especially true if you have a cart with a short cantilever that hides under the cartridge body. For most folks the Mint is a great choice and an excellent alternative (IMO).

AM can be used of course without having to have used SMARTractor to do the alignment.

I have the same cart as you.
leftside

Postby tony22 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:02 pm

leftside wrote:I have the same cart as you.

It's a great cart. What alignment jig do you use now?
tony22

Next

Return to Support Forum