Cartridge Alignment, which ones and why

Cartridge Alignment, which ones and why

Postby babybird » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Just curious to see what alignment protractors and method most of you are using, Baerwald, Stevenson or Lofgren and why? Some audiophiles suggest there really isn't enough difference between each of these to loose any sleep over, let alone be too concerned with.

I have the Feickert Protractor and am satisfied with it and use the Baerwald alignment. Its my understanding the provided jig that comes with VPI turntables use the Stevenson method though.

Thanks
babybird

Re: Cartridge Alignment, which ones and why

Postby Packgrog » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:15 pm

I greatly prefer Baerwald (Lofgren A). It just seems to be more reliable over the entirety of a 12" record. Stevenson I believe works better with 7" singles.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/un ... st-clarify

EDIT: Correction, Stevenson sucks for IGD. Duh. It's fine if your record sides are short, I guess. Baerwald FTW, though. UNI-DIN for 7".
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby babybird » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks for the link. Interesting in that the general conclusion from the response and Fremer were that Lofgren B is the overall winner. This is an alignment I have not tried but like you tend to use Baerwald. One has to wonder though just how much any of this distortion can be heard at such seemingly low amounts though.
babybird

Postby Packgrog » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:09 am

Well, even with Baerwald, some cartridges that don't track as well can display some nasty inner groove distortion. I've yet to experience it with the AT33PTG/II, but I have with some other carts.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby macster » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am

I use the VPI because it sounds better to me. I have a number of alignment gauges and I keep coming back to the VPI.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby babybird » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Presumably you listen mostly to classical music then? Its my understanding the VPI protractor is the Stevenson alignment, which by most accounts works best mostly for classical. I have used it also, but tend to go back and forth between it and the Feickert protractor with Baerwald. But I also listen to a lot of different sorts of music from classical, jazz and rock and roll and others.

macster wrote:I use the VPI because it sounds better to me. I have a number of alignment gauges and I keep coming back to the VPI.

M~
babybird

Postby macster » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:44 pm

babybird wrote:Presumably you listen mostly to classical music then? Its my understanding the VPI protractor is the Stevenson alignment, which by most accounts works best mostly for classical. I have used it also, but tend to go back and forth between it and the Feickert protractor with Baerwald. But I also listen to a lot of different sorts of music from classical, jazz and rock and roll and others.

macster wrote:I use the VPI because it sounds better to me. I have a number of alignment gauges and I keep coming back to the VPI.

M~

I listen primarily to anything but Classical, mostly jazz; Lou Donaldson, Bill Evans et al. I also use a Shure V15V/Jico Neo SAS and other V15V styli, and right now I'm using ATVM540ML on my #2 10.5 armwand.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby spinit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:58 pm

The listed specifications of their current tonearms indicate ~Lofgren A (12 inch arms) and ~Lofgren B alignments and not Stevenson. Keep in mind that the accuracy of calculating based on specifications is limited by the accuracy of the provided values (number of digits).
spinit

Return to Support Forum