Run-out on platter

Run-out on platter

Postby Optimationman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Noticed that the platter on my new to me TNT has a slight "wobble". Discovered that the 3set screws on my platter are back out and not touching the spindle. I have adjusted the three to get the run-out ok. My question to you is should the platter be supported by the three screws, or should the platter rest as much as possible on the spindle flat surface?
Optimationman

Re: Run-out on platter

Postby Brf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Optimationman wrote:Noticed that the platter on my new to me TNT has a slight "wobble". Discovered that the 3set screws on my platter are back out and not touching the spindle. I have adjusted the three to get the run-out ok. My question to you is should the platter be supported by the three screws, or should the platter rest as much as possible on the spindle flat surface?

The platter sits on the bearing flange supported by the three platter set screws. Balancing the platter can be a tedious task, therefore, I would suggest purchasing an inexpensive run out gauge. Also, there should be a dot on the bearing flange and a dot on the platter’s underside. Make sure that these two dots are aligned, that way you can repeat the set up if the two piece need to be separated.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Optimationman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:49 pm

I understand using a dial gauge for adjusting run-out. I just wondering if the full weight of the platter should be resting on the 3 screws. In other words, should the only contact between the bearing spindle surface and the platter be through those 3 screws? I have discovered the dots and started this process with them lined up.
Optimationman

Postby Brf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:14 am

Optimationman wrote:I understand using a dial gauge for adjusting run-out. I just wondering if the full weight of the platter should be resting on the 3 screws. In other words, should the only contact between the bearing spindle surface and the platter be through those 3 screws? I have discovered the dots and started this process with them lined up.

Yes, the full weight of the platter is supported by the three set screws.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Optimationman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks for that. Since that is true, I will make further adjustments.
Optimationman

Postby _JT » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Hey !! It's JT stopping by! If you ever need any immediate help, feel free to give us a call or contact us at info@vpiindutries.com :D
_JT

Postby Votan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 pm

_JT wrote:Hey !! It's JT stopping by! If you ever need any immediate help, feel free to give us a call or contact us at info@vpiindutries.com :D

Hi JT,
It was May 31, 2019, when Mat introduced you, Jose and Sharon as new members of the VPI team, but since then we have seen little, if any, of your participation in the forum. I think it was of course a necessary step to familiarize you with all the varied requirements in your new duties.
Now, we sincerely look forward to your more active participation here, so that we will most often have your help and support, but also - why not – VPI’s view of what is being discussed in this forum. Michael.
Prime Signature/10"3DR/Finite Element(FE) platform/ADS/Lyra Titan/VPI Ring/WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable/Groove+ SRX MkII Phono Stage/Moon 740 Pre/Moon 820 PSU/ATC 100 Active Speakers/AQ Niagara IC/WW Silver Electra A/C,FE Ref Rack/RPG Room Treatm.
Votan

Postby macster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 pm

JT

Thanks for your help in getting my 16.5 up and running again. The new flange assembly did the trick.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Return to Support Forum