Periphery Ring Shock

Re: Periphery Ring Shock

Postby Vear » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Golear wrote:1. It's not a good idea to disconnect the Earth from the motor.

I didn't disconnect the earth wire that came with the motor, only the one I added as a test. My motor was already quiet when turned On/Off. That was one of the very first issues I resolved. VPI sent me a new capacitor that solved that issue.

I will try the flower pot suggestion.
Vear

Postby Vear » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Brf wrote:See if you can borrow a different phono amplifier. I bet it will not repeat itself.

Ughh, I just sold an Integrated amp I had in another system.

I'll try it with a Creek phono stage but that will have to wait until the weekend.
Vear

Postby Vear » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:23 pm

edw wrote:
I'm not 100% sure if the inverted bearing for the acrylic platter is the same as the inverted bearing on the aluminum platter (which I have), but below the plinth, at the bottom of the black delrin bushing, there is an allen headed bolt and metal washer. If you carefully unscrew the bolt, the washer and the black delrin bushing will slide out leaving the bearing assembly. I used a ground wire with a metal loop end in between the bolt and the washer and screwed everything back into the bearing assembly. Nothing should get misaligned. Then the ground wire was fastened to the ground lug.

Thanks. If I decide to keep that ground wire I will attempt to do it as you detailed above.

edw wrote: Hmmmm, was this test with or without the ground wire attached to the motor?
Also, I assume you tested and have continuity from the tip of the tonearm spike to the ground lug?

Yes, without a DIY improvised ground wire from the motor to the ground nut I still have continuity between the motor and the ground nut. As is with the replacement capacitor VPI provided it turns on & off silently.

I also has continuity from the tip of the spike to the ground nut.
Vear

Postby Vear » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:47 pm

@Golear, I tried touching wet soil in a plant to ground myself and I still get the tick when I touch the ring. I can even ground myself by touching the chassis or ground nut on the amp and I still get the tick when I touch the ring. I can also walk up and touch any other metal part on the turntable (including the tonearm) and it is dead silent. Only the ring ticks when I touch it...
Vear

Postby edw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:01 am

Vear wrote:Thanks. If I decide to keep that ground wire I will attempt to do it as you detailed above.

Do you have continuity between the spindle in the acrylic platter to the bottom of the bearing assembly beneath the plinth? If you don't, I would still try putting the ground wire at the bottom of the bearing assembly as described above, then check for continuity at the applicable locations (spindle to lug (should be consistent with your results before), spindle to bottom of bearing, and bottom of bearing to lug) and then test to see if you have static.
edw

Postby Vear » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am

edw wrote:
Vear wrote:Thanks. If I decide to keep that ground wire I will attempt to do it as you detailed above.

Do you have continuity between the spindle in the acrylic platter to the bottom of the bearing assembly beneath the plinth? If you don't, I would still try putting the ground wire at the bottom of the bearing assembly as described above, then check for continuity at the applicable locations (spindle to lug (should be consistent with your results before), spindle to bottom of bearing, and bottom of bearing to lug) and then test to see if you have static.

Yes, I just checked and with the DIY ground wire as I currently have it (from the top) I get continuity between the spindle and the bottom bearing and I also get continuity between the bottom bearing and the ground nut on the Lemo box.

The last thing I have to check is another phono stage as @Brf suggested although I'm not sure how my current phono stage would only pick-up the static tick coming from the P-ring and nowhere else on the table...
Vear

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 am

Vear wrote:
The last thing I have to check is another phono stage as @Brf suggested although I'm not sure how my current phono stage would only pick-up the static tick coming from the P-ring and nowhere else on the table...

I have a phono stage that does not behave well with my VPI table but has no problem with my non-VPI tables. Go figure....
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Vear » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 pm

So I tried one more experiment to confirm that it's happening because the P-ring itself is not grounded. I ran a wire from the DIY grounded spindle to the P-ring and let it spin for a while. When I touched the ring it was dead silent.

This confirms (along with the continuity test to the platter) that the Acrylic composition is non-conductive which I would assume is a very good thing under normal circumstances as far as a platter material goes. The problem is clearly when a metal P-ring is added to an acrylic platter as there is no way to properly ground it.

It also appears, as odd as it may seem, that the spinning P-ring is somehow picking up a charge all on it's own .

I'll try a different phono stage just to experiment but at this point it looks like I'm just going to have to deal with it...

Thanks to all for all your great suggestions.
Vear

Postby madrac » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:11 pm

I wonder if something like this could be used to "destatic" your ring? May have to rig it so the arm is fixed as this looks to pivot to track from outer groove to inner whilst playing?

https://www.turntableneedles.com/Antist ... _1706.html

Or, one of those PC deionizers from Amazon (or elsewhere) and just destat the ring before touching.
madrac

Postby edw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:11 pm

Congrats, at least you found that the static charge can be dissipated to ground. But not so practical a solution, unfortunately. :D
Wondering about alternatives that are more practical ... (madrac may have something there)

Curious, does any component from the TT to the speakers use a 2-prong plug?
edw

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum