Periphery Ring Shock

Periphery Ring Shock

Postby Vear » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:34 pm

When I use the Periphery Ring on my Scoutmaster (w/acrylic platter) I get a pop at the speakers when I touch the Ring itself after the platter has been spinning. If I don't use the ring I can touch any part of the table (platter, spindle, etc.) and there is no static pop. I tried running a ground wire from the bottom of the bearing but there was no change.

Why is it that I'm only getting the static with the periphery ring on? Room is climate controlled and humidity is perfect. How can I avoid this (aside from not using the periphery ring-LOL).

Any suggestions??
Vear

Re: Periphery Ring Shock

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Shoes on or off? I found in my listening room/man cave, I can't wear shoes when walking up to my table after it's been playing. Barefoot, no problems ( Socks OK I think) :| . The other solution was to ground myself to another metal component first, then touch the table.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Ryan Speakers R630, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Vear » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:04 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:Shoes on or off? I found in my listening room/man cave, I can't wear shoes when walking up to my table after it's been playing. Barefoot, no problems ( Socks OK I think) :| . The other solution was to ground myself to another metal component first, then touch the table.

Shoes on or off, the same result. I just can't figure out how or why the periphery ring is interacting with the table to cause the static.
Vear

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Vear,
Your platter seems to be discharging static ok. If your Ring has padding next to your platter try adding a small piece of wire that jumps the gap to your platter. You might need several.
Mr_Putty

Postby Vear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:00 am

Mr_Putty wrote:Vear,
Your platter seems to be discharging static ok. If your Ring has padding next to your platter try adding a small piece of wire that jumps the gap to your platter. You might need several.

When I first read your suggestion i got really excited because I hadn't thought of making more contact. I had tried going the opposite direction and separating the ring contact from the platter with electrical tape to see if that helped (it didn't).

I tried your suggestion with thin wires (ring really snug so definitely making contact with the platter) and there was no change...

It's just so annoying to get that "tick" every time.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Vear

Postby Brf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:15 am

Inside the periphery ring there should be felt strips. Spray these felt strips with anti-static spray.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:19 am

spinblackcircle wrote:Shoes on or off? I found in my listening room/man cave, I can't wear shoes when walking up to my table after it's been playing. Barefoot, no problems ( Socks OK I think) :| . The other solution was to ground myself to another metal component first, then touch the table.

Like spinblackcircle said,,, Try grounding you self to somthing before you touch the ring,,That well tell you if its you or the ring holding the charge,,You can run a ground wire from the plug to a small metal plate to touch first,,,then go from there ,,,
10ovr

Postby Vear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:19 am

Brf wrote:Inside the periphery ring there should be felt strips. Spray these felt strips with anti-static spray.

OK, I'll do that and report back. I had already tried rubbing them with fabric softener sheets but that didn't work. Maybe the spray will do the trick.

Stay tuned
Vear

Postby Vear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:23 am

10ovr wrote:

Like spinblackcircle said,,, Try grounding you self to somthing before you touch the ring,,That well tell you if its you or the ring holding the charge,,You can run a ground wire from the plug to a small metal plate to touch first,,,then go from there ,,,

Yes I've grounded myself by touching the amp (which might tick if I have a static issue like in the dead of winter but isn't this time of year) and the Ring still ticks when I touch it. Can you elaborate on how to run the wire, from where to where?
Vear

Postby Vear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Brf wrote:Inside the periphery ring there should be felt strips. Spray these felt strips with anti-static spray.

OK, so I tried that also and it didn't work. I also tried to run a wire from the metal base of the bearing (on top of plinth) to ground again. No change.

I'm about throw in the towel... I've had it! I've spent way to much time trying to resolve this and it's really turning me off. No issues with my other table in the same set-up.

I don't even want to think of how bad it's going to get in the winter... VERY frustrating. :x
Vear

Next

Return to Support Forum