TNT JMW 10 Set Up Help

Re: TNT JMW 10 Set Up Help

Postby rplace » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:00 am

Thanks so much waxxy!!
rplace

Postby Votan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Waxxy wrote:BTW...the cuing on my older JMWs drops like a rock too. I just feather it down using the cue lever. Can't say I'm not a little jealous watching my buddy's Linn arm drop ever so slowly.

Waxxy don't be jealous. My buddy's Linn Ekos II was dropping like a rock too. After two unlucky efforts to refill it with new cuing-viscus silicone, a week ago I replace the cuing device with a brand new from Linn (~150 €). Exactly the same happened to my previous JMW 12,5.
I'm afraid that this is inevitable for all tonearms after some years of use.
Prime Signature/10"3DR/Finite Element(FE) platform/ADS/Lyra Titan/VPI Ring/WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable/Groove+ SRX MkII Phono Stage/Moon 740 Pre/Moon 820 PSU/ATC 100 Active Speakers/AQ Niagara IC/WW Silver Electra A/C,FE Ref Rack/RPG Room Treatm.
Votan

Postby rplace » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks for all the help so far. I moved it out to 250mm then loosened up the jig's screws and put it snug against the pivot spike and snapped a before and after picture.

Before way back in the head shell
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (983.88 KiB) Viewed 788 times

And after....looks a bit more "normal", no?
After.jpg
After.jpg (955.61 KiB) Viewed 788 times
rplace

Postby rplace » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:52 am

Will any 10" arm work on this base? Or for that matter will a 10.5" work? If I am understanding things correctly (good chance I am not ;) ) there are arms with the "name" 10, 10.5, 10.5i that are all 10 INCHES long. Additionally there are arm with 10.5 in the name that are in fact 10.5 inches long. I've never had a arm that is so easy to take off the base. I'm interested in the idea of having a 2nd arm with a different cartridge on it to swap out and compare.

Seem to me if I get a 10.5 inch arm no matter the name I'd have to make other adjustments, is that correct?

But if I could snag an arm that is 10 inches long (no matter the name) I might be able to set it up once then easily swap between the two?

As usual, thanks!
rplace

Postby Brf » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 am

Historically, VPI did not disclose their tonearm specifications, therefore, It was up to the audiophile community to guesstimate and assemble VPI tonearm specifications. IIRC, the chart that Waxxy posted was not produced by VPI and was developed by a third party in an attempt to give insight to end users who wanted to mount VPI arms on other tables or swap their VPI arms. It was later revealed that this well indented chart included some inaccuracies, most notably the S2P of JMW 10.5i/Classic at 262mm when it should be 258mm.

I owned an original JMW 10 and reached out to Mike (an original VPI respected tech) who confirmed to me in an email that the correct S2P distance for the original JMW10 was 248mm. Using 248 or 250mm should be not a problem as long as you use an arc protractor set for the corresponding distance. Also, I want to point out that the metal VPI jig was designed for the JMW 10.5i/Classic/JMW 10D tonearm and not the JMW 10 to 10.5, which came with their own proprietary plastic jig. To the best of my knowledge, these two jigs are not interchangeable.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby rplace » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:15 am

Brf wrote:I owned an original JMW 10 and reached out to Mike (an original VPI respected tech) who confirmed to me in an email that the correct S2P distance for the original JMW10 was 248mm. Using 248 or 250mm should be not a problem as long as you use an arc protractor set for the corresponding distance. Also, I want to point out that the metal VPI jig was designed for the JMW 10.5i/Classic/JMW 10D tonearm and not the JMW 10 to 10.5, which came with their own proprietary plastic jig. To the best of my knowledge, these two jigs are not interchangeable.

Wow, great info Brf. Thanks a ton! Now I feel like I wasted my Friday driving to another state and dropping $60 the metal Jig. At least I took some of my favorite LPs along and listened to them on an Avenger and Magico M2 speakers. Forgive my ignorance, as I said earlier I'm more of an end user vs. fully understanding all things turntables. I've got several protractors but I don't believe I have an arc protractor. Can you please point me in the right direction. I'll drop it back to 248 for now and see how close using various protractors to see if any are way off.
rplace

Postby Brf » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 am

You can print off a simple arc protractor here http://www.conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

Direct link http://www.conradhoffman.com/TemplateGen.zip

As an aside, the metal jig will work with a JMW 10, but I believe that the alignment differs slightly between the two. I remember noticing this when I switch to the 10.5" tonearms. (it has been a while)

Also, PM member Waxxy, as he owns and uses a lot of earlier JMW 10 tonearms.
Brf
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support Forum