Lubing A/S mechanism

Re: Lubing A/S mechanism

Postby Votan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:08 am

I totally agree with you concerning what our ears tell us for the need of continuously increasing a/s force going from the outer groove towards the inner one, in stark contrast to the (more or less theoretical) findings of the article.
Also I very strongly believe (due to my ears as well) that VPI's a/s device (as it is, or modified) fits perfectly to the real world's demands in balancing skating force all the way from the start to the end of an LP, under the contition you have found the correct loading (donuts, etc.) of it.
Concerning the article and its results, it is a fact that I was very troubled by it! I finally think that, its most crucial false assumption is the one which supposes that "the friction caused from needle tracking is constant (supposing a constand standard modulation all the way), been irrelevant from the linear speed of rotation, which of course on all TTs is constantly degreasing going towards the lead out groove". Searching that very point in some other respected papers I found (on the contrary of the article's above assumption) that friction is going increasing when linear speed is decreasing, something that makes sence if you mechanically think about it! This gets us closer to our ears' findings instead the article's ones!
Finally concerning Peter Ledermann's recommendation for a/s adjustments, according to my findings on a lot of
different setups, I have great reservations for its effectiveness (see viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10610&start=60), but I greatly respect that YMMV.
Prime Signature/10"3DR/Finite Element(FE) platform/ADS/Lyra Titan/VPI Ring/WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable/Groove+ SRX MkII Phono Stage/Moon 740 Pre/Moon 820 PSU/ATC 100 Active Speakers/AQ Niagara IC/WW Silver Electra A/C,FE Ref Rack/RPG Room Treatm.
Votan

Re: Lubing A/S mechanism

Postby Golear » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:05 pm

I think the SoundSmith's method works for people (like me) who don't have a smooth LP. It sounds weird, but works well (for me). It wasn't clear to me, watching one of his videos, whether the SoundSmith recommended setting the anti-skate to where the arm moves towards the spindle at a slow rate, or away from the spindle at a slow rate. I set mine (with my modified arrangement) to where the arm did not move towards the spindle. That sounded fine to me.

If you have a smooth LP, and want to use the SoundSmith's method, then lower the arm in the inner-most portion of the LP. I believe he said that setting the arm down anywhere else will result in too high an anti-skate setting. (It's in one of his videos.)

In the end, one has to do this by ear. One has to make allowances for the LP, the arm and the specific cartridge. Like VTF, it's an average setting, since each LP is different.

I listen for mistracking. High frequencies break up and sound very distorted. This is serious, as it damages the LP. For me, the best LP for this is Star of Wonder (Reference Recordings, RR-21), Track 8 and Track 17. https://referencerecordings.com/recordi ... l-artists/. Of course, you can hear it on any track, but it's very apparent on those two tracks.

(One more thing: I set the VTF to the max. recommended amount.)
Golear

Previous

Return to Support Forum