Outboard Flywheel Technical Question

Re: Outboard Flywheel Technical Question

Postby Johnny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

Votan wrote:
Johnny wrote: In speaking with someone at VPI, I was told that one of the reasons that VPI has abandoned the flywheel drive systems is that US manufacturing cost have skyrocketed making flywheel drive systems almost cost prohibitive.

On most VPI retailers, Single Motor/Flywheel Assembly is now sold for 999 USD and the Dual Motor/ Flywheel Assembly for 1.999 USD, when VPI’s periphery ring costs ~1.150 USD!! I don't think anyone would protest if VPI increased the M/F assemblies prices by say a 30% to cover their manufacturing costs, provided that the aforementioned units were long term worth their money.

Thank you, I saw that too, but when I called 3 VPI Platinum Level Dealers, all of them told me that the SMF had been discontinued.
Johnny

Postby Johnny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Brf wrote:
Johnny wrote:Brf, I was speaking to one of my techie friends and he asserts that the flywheel size needs to be matched to the table and pulley. His argument is that when he added a rim drive to his table (basically an idler wheel) he had to change the pulley size to obtain the correct speed. This goes against what you stated above in that the pulley and platter size determine the speed and anything in between does not impact the table's speed. I am confused?

Votan wrote:Brf is correct. This is very simple mechanics…

Thanks Votan

With a VPI rim drive, you have two surfaces mated together with different circumferences. The output of the pulley drives the rim drive’s smaller circumference input and the rims drive’s output is taken from the larger circumference rim drive. Since the two sections of the rim drive have the sale rotational speed and since their circumferences are different, their surface speeds are different.

I never doubted you but my buddy was so certain. Thanks for the explanation, I printed it off to show him ;)
Johnny

Postby Stringreen » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:07 pm

With my rim drive, I have a SDS which adjusts the motor speed to provide the correct 33/45
Stringreen

Previous

Return to Support Forum