VPI Prime male pivot point factory height

VPI Prime male pivot point factory height

Postby LarryRS » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:37 am

Hi all,

It is my understanding that the male pivot point of the tonearm on the VPI Prime is set to a specific height at the factory. If someone knows that height I would greatly appreciate it if they could pass it along. I apologize if I missed it in previous postings but I was unable to find the actual figure. Thanks very much.

LarryRS
LarryRS

Re: VPI Prime male pivot point factory height

Postby jonathanb » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 am

I've asked this question at the factory and discovered there is no set height as the person doing the setup adjusts the height to their preference.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby LarryRS » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:06 am

jonathanb wrote:I've asked this question at the factory and discovered there is no set height as the person doing the setup adjusts the height to their preference.

Thanks. That's a bit disconcerting.
LarryRS

Postby seamonster » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 am

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10035&p=47277&hilit=bell+housing+height#p43982

This is as close to an answer as it gets here.
seamonster

Postby jonathanb » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:52 am

Most of these adjustments were done by two longtime employees. One preferred a higher setting than the other. (Both eyeballed the height when setting the height.) Both settings work fine.

FWIW, the height of my male bearing is 9.23mm.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby LarryRS » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:34 pm

jonathanb and seamonster - thanks to both of you for your responses. I had read through the post that seamonster had linked to and was struck by the fact that, while a factory default was mentioned, no number was proferred. Now I know why!
LarryRS

Postby Brf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:50 am

LarryRS wrote:jonathanb and seamonster - thanks to both of you for your responses. I had read through the post that seamonster had linked to and was struck by the fact that, while a factory default was mentioned, no number was proferred. Now I know why!

Technically, the female pivot screw height is not suppose to an end user adjustment. I would assume that in 99% of the time, there is no need to adjust this setting.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jonathanb » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:16 am

Steve at VAS told me that he uses the female bearing to set VTA/SRA for each arm he uses thus avoiding the hassle of having to use the VTA tower every time one changes arms. I've done this and it has worked well for me.
jonathanb

Postby Stringreen » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:52 pm

I had to adjust the pivot - the arm was way wrong. Never had to adjust it again.
Stringreen

Postby LarryRS » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Brf wrote:
LarryRS wrote:jonathanb and seamonster - thanks to both of you for your responses. I had read through the post that seamonster had linked to and was struck by the fact that, while a factory default was mentioned, no number was proferred. Now I know why!

Technically, the female pivot screw height is not suppose to an end user adjustment. I would assume that in 99% of the time, there is no need to adjust this setting.

I have been reluctant to do anything with the female pivot screw, thinking along these same lines (i.e., not designed as an end user adjustment). The genesis of my original question was the fact that, in installing a new cartridge, I have been unable to lower the VTA tower to a point where I have the freedom of adjustment to have the tail up or down. Even when I take the vernier adjustment of the tower to its lowest point, the tail is still slightly up.

I was looking just a little while ago at the VPI Prime Set-up Video 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex3Qsqr8DD8) and noticed that the support holding the VTA tower on the Prime used in the video could be lowered much more than the one on my table. On my table, even with the vernier lowered all the way down the minimum distance between the support piece that the junction box is mounted on and the support that the VTA tower is on is 10.69mm (the distance between the two red marks in the accompanying photo). If I try to lower any more using the vernier I encounter a lot of resistance and I don't want to force it and risk damaging something. Is this typical, or should I be able to lower it more? If the latter, is there some sort of adjustment that I can make? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Attachments
Prime VTA tower 2.jpeg
Prime VTA tower 2.jpeg (854.04 KiB) Viewed 983 times
LarryRS

Next

Return to Support Forum