Prime Motor Oil Drippings

Prime Motor Oil Drippings

Postby bhjazz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 am

Hello,

The motor for my Prime looks like has spit out some oil. Not sure how long it has been there. I recently heard some excess motor noise, so was prepping to do some maintenance when I ran across this. It may be excess from my hasty dealer, but wanted to check with you folks.

(There's actually more of it than appears in the photo; It is the entire front half of the brass collar on the motor. Tough to get the focus right with a macro shot at the correct angle.)

Is this a concern, or should I just clean it off and move on to my maintenance? Should I remove the top cover of the motor to see if it has dripped back down into the housing?

Thanks!
Brian
Attachments
oily.jpg
oily.jpg (444.37 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
bhjazz

Re: Prime Motor Oil Drippings

Postby Stringreen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:28 am

I'd clean it up with a Qtip and keep an eye on it. Looks like too much oil or sloppy application.
Stringreen

Postby Brf » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:39 am

Nothing to be concerned about. VPI ships their motor spindles with a dab of grease.

When I re-lube my motor, I use a very light machine oil (sewing machine oil) and place it just under the brass collar. Once lubricated, I then apply a dab of white lithium grease to the motor bearing shaft. The lithium grease provides two benefits.

1) The oil impregnated grease provides additional lubrication to the motor bushing
2) Provides a physical barrier against air borne contaminates entering the motor bearing bushing which extends the motor's performance life
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:09 am

Brf wrote:Nothing to be concerned about. VPI ships their motor spindles with a dab of grease.

When I re-lube my motor, I use a very light machine oil (sewing machine oil) and place it just under the brass collar. Once lubricated, I then apply a dab of white lithium grease to the motor bearing shaft. The lithium grease provides two benefits.

1) The oil impregnated grease provides additional lubrication to the motor bushing
2) Provides a physical barrier against air borne contaminates entering the motor bearing bushing which extends the motor's performance life

Great tip! This should be in the VPI manual
Johnny

Postby bhjazz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 am

Excellent. I had an idea that might be the case, but this sets my mind at ease. Thank you!
bhjazz

Postby bhjazz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Brf - quick question. I am looking at the setup instructions in the FAQ. You mention:

If your motor is running quiet, I would not concern myself with lubricating the motor shaft. To do it correctly requires removing/adjusting the brass motor collar which can be tricky.

Motor noise is what reminded me to do the maintenance in the first place!

I have a set of feeler gauges. Is this how you would set up the brass collar on the motor? This seems most reasonable, anyway.

Thanks!

Brian

EDIT: Interesting. So far, I have a 0.14 and 0.12 feeler gauge together, and that fits snug just under the brass collar. However, even after loosening the 3 hex screws on the pulley, it's still on quite firmly. OH, hang on, just got it. Wow, that's some serious machining. That was snuuuuug. Nice. Onward!
bhjazz

Postby bhjazz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:38 pm

So the trick to removing the pulley and brass collar, as far as I can tell is this: the motor spindle is actually riding on a small black washer, just below the brass collar. Before snugging down the set screw on the collar, pull the spindle upwards. If you do not, the motor spindle is not riding on the washer, and you'll definitely get more motor noise since the spindle is riding on the bottom of the motor. (Ask me how I know.) Pull the spindle up, tighten the set screw on the brass collar, drop on the pulley, snug the set screws...Voila.
bhjazz

Postby Beck » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:21 pm

I use a fine needle and syringe to place the oil under the brass collar. It works nicely.
Avenger Reference | Fat Boy 12 | Dual Pivot | Ortofon Cadenza Black | ADS | Ayre P-5xe phono preamp, K-5xe preamp, and V-5xe amp | Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects and Testament speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Return to Support Forum