Prime Scout - Platter Spindle Bearing Lubing

Re: Prime Scout - Platter Spindle Bearing Lubing

Postby Brf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:11 am

Ghost rider wrote:Can I chime in on this I was redirected here from another forum. I have a Scout LE it uses a well bearing originally for hw-19. This year I emailed VPI and was steered toward super lube. Do I use Mobil one one mine?

2 days ago with no prior hint I had a problem I turn on the motor and it would not spin the platter. Removing the belt the platter would barely spin at all. In January I lubed it with super lube. I had little luck today the vapor seal took hours to seat and when it did the platter was stiff. Another forum suggested cleaning with alcohol and I lubed again with super lube. I need to do it again with Mobil one yes?

The simple answer is yes to cleaning out the old super lube and re-lubing your bearing with Mobil One synthetic oil.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Ghost rider » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Brf wrote:
Ghost rider wrote:Can I chime in on this I was redirected here from another forum. I have a Scout LE it uses a well bearing originally for hw-19. This year I emailed VPI and was steered toward super lube. Do I use Mobil one one mine?

2 days ago with no prior hint I had a problem I turn on the motor and it would not spin the platter. Removing the belt the platter would barely spin at all. In January I lubed it with super lube. I had little luck today the vapor seal took hours to seat and when it did the platter was stiff. Another forum suggested cleaning with alcohol and I lubed again with super lube. I need to do it again with Mobil one yes?

The simple answer is yes to cleaning out the old super lube and re-lubing your bearing with Mobil One synthetic oil.

Did it today and it works great again.
Ghost rider

Postby Ghost rider » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 pm

One more question should I use oil or super lube for the motor spindle.
Ghost rider

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:06 am

Ghost rider wrote:One more question should I use oil or super lube for the motor spindle.

I use sewing machine oil
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Ghost rider » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:29 am

Thanks for chiming in Brf a week later and I not sure if it's right again. Last week it seemed to be fully seated and the platter free spun for 60 seconds today back to a couple of seconds. My speed is slow too, from how I dialed it in last week.

I thoroughly cleaned with alcohol and q-tips and put a few drops of oil. Tonight I popped it off and there is a bit of a pop when the seal breaks I dropped a few more drops of oil and now it sitting high on a cushion of air. It spins long again but may take days to seat and then it will likely be not more than seconds.

I'm back to thinking something is not functioning correctly with my bearing. I know before last year when I used super lube it was different. The seal did not take days to seat and it free spun a long time.

From what I could see there is not much to it. What looked to me like 2 vinyl sleeves in the well with a removable plate at the bottom that the ball bearing mounted to the bottom of the spindle spins on once it is fully seated. Are the sleeves actually sealed bearings? It doesn't make since they spin fine until it seats.

Is the HW-19 bearing replaceable? Or does it make since to change the platter and bearing and make it a full scout (see my other post)
Ghost rider

Postby Brf » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:16 am

Sounds like too much oil in the bearing oil which will cause a vapour lock. I would clean out the old oil and apply 3 to 4 drops of oil.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Ghost rider » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:21 am

Seems to be working better. I will keep an eye on the speed.

Thanks
Ghost rider

Previous

Return to Support Forum