Prime Scout - Platter Spindle Bearing Lubing

Prime Scout - Platter Spindle Bearing Lubing

Postby aive » Sat May 04, 2019 8:45 am

Hello,

I've spent awhile trying to figure it out, and I'm hoping I'm not missing something obvious - but where do I apply lube (motor oil) to the platter spindle bearing? Do I just apply a few drops to the brass collar/bush thats visible from the top of the platter, where the spindle comes through? I've seen people reference "bearing wells" but have no idea what this is ><

I can't seem to remove the spindle itself, it can be pulled up an inch or so but then springs back into place. I'm reluctant to pull with any further force.

I don't believe the manual is correct when it references applying grease - as I understand this is for spindles with inverted bearings...?

Help is much appreciated :)
Attachments
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1724 times
aive

Re: Prime Scout - Platter Spindle Bearing Lubing

Postby Brf » Sat May 04, 2019 9:37 am

To remove the bearing, pull straight up. The resistance that you are feeling is a partial vapor lock. Roll up some paper towel and insert it into the bearing well to remove the old oil. Replace the oil with 40w oil (not grease). I recommend Mobil One 40w synthetic oil. If you go to any quick oil change place, they will give you 1/2 ounce for free. You only need to put 3-5 drops of oil into the bearing well.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby aive » Sat May 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks Brf!

Can I use Mobil 1 5W-30 oil?
aive

Postby Brf » Sat May 04, 2019 11:51 pm

aive wrote:Thanks Brf!

Can I use Mobil 1 5W-30 oil?

100%. No problem
Brf
Site Admin

Postby aive » Sun May 05, 2019 12:30 am

Thanks Brf - all sorted now, platter bearing lubed, motor lubed, all set for another year thank you so much :)
aive

Postby chazz101s » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Brf wrote:Replace the oil with 40w oil (not grease). I recommend Mobil One 40w synthetic oil. . . . You only need to put 3-5 drops of oil into the bearing well.

Put the oil into the bearing well . . . where? Does it matter whether you put the drops on the sides of the wall? Or should the 3-5 drops go down to the bottom of the well, on top of the white plastic [??] at the bottom of the well?

And what about the Super Lube (or white lithium grease) for the bearing itself? Isn't that still needed as described in the maintenance sticky and shown on its photo? (Thanks for the maintenance tips, brf. Maintenance instructions for VPI 'tables leave a LOT to one's imagination.)
chazz101s

Postby Brf » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:57 am

chazz101s wrote:
Brf wrote:Replace the oil with 40w oil (not grease). I recommend Mobil One 40w synthetic oil. . . . You only need to put 3-5 drops of oil into the bearing well.

Put the oil into the bearing well . . . where? Does it matter whether you put the drops on the sides of the wall? Or should the 3-5 drops go down to the bottom of the well, on top of the white plastic [??] at the bottom of the well?

And what about the Super Lube (or white lithium grease) for the bearing itself? Isn't that still needed as described in the maintenance sticky and shown on its photo? (Thanks for the maintenance tips, brf. Maintenance instructions for VPI 'tables leave a LOT to one's imagination.)

The Prime Scout has an oil bath bearing which gets inserted into the female bearing hole located on the table's plinth. The top portion of the Prime Scout bearing has a Jacobs tapered shaft which supports the platter. The Jacob's taper self aligns the platter on to the bearing shaft

Scout Prime lubrication - first you must remove the old oil which is located in the female bearing hole. Use rolled up paper towel or Q-tips followed by a final cleansing using isopropyl alcohol impregnated paper towel. Once cleaned, add 3-5 drops of 30 or 40 weight motor oil into the female bearing hole. My preference is Mobil One synthetic. There is no need to oil the male bearing shaft as the bushing used is self lubricating. Oil bath bearing do not use lithium grease.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby chazz101s » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:07 am

Brf wrote:The Prime Scout has an oil bath bearing which gets inserted into the female bearing hole located on the table's plinth. The top portion of the Prime Scout bearing has a Jacobs tapered shaft which supports the platter. The Jacob's taper self aligns the platter on to the bearing shaft

Scout Prime lubrication - first you must remove the old oil which is located in the female bearing hole. Use rolled up paper towel or Q-tips followed by a final cleansing using isopropyl alcohol impregnated paper towel. Once cleaned, add 3-5 drops of 30 or 40 weight motor oil into the female bearing hole. My preference is Mobil One synthetic. There is no need to oil the male bearing shaft as the bushing used is self lubricating. Oil bath bearing do not use lithium grease.

Thank you, brf, for your speedy and kind answer.

Sorry not to have said that I own a Scout 1.1.

Is my bearing = the bearing for the Scout Prime?

This week I bought Super Lube (after viewing the youtube video that Mat posted approx 1 month ago, which began my confusion on how to maintain my Scout 1.1) and yesterday I applied the recommended (small!) amount of Super Lube to the bearing of my Scout 1.1.

No harm done? And don't do it again?

I'm still clueless about how to apply the recommended 3-5 drops of motor oil (I've got 10W40 - OK to use?) - just put the drops into the bearing well/at the bottom and then let the tight fit of the shaft and bearing itself do the application job? Or something else - like putting the 3-5 drops on the circumference of the shaft itself?

Yes, I removed the old oil in the bearing shaft. Ditto, for the accumulation on the bearing itself.

Sorry to ask still more questions with this reply, but I really don't want to leave *any* of this to my imagination and then discover that my imagination/assumptions were wrong.

The final cleaning of the bearing hole with an isopropol-impregnated paper towel (or Q tip?) is exactly the kind of detail that I (and perhaps others as inexperienced at this as I?) need. Thank you v. much for that too.

Best to you, Chaz
chazz101s

Postby Brf » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 am

chazz101s wrote:Sorry not to have said that I own a Scout 1.1.

Is my bearing = the bearing for the Scout Prime?

Yes, both the Scout 1.1 and Scout Prime share the same bearing

chazz101s wrote:
This week I bought Super Lube (after viewing the youtube video that Mat posted approx 1 month ago, which began my confusion on how to maintain my Scout 1.1) and yesterday I applied the recommended (small!) amount of Super Lube to the bearing of my Scout 1.1.

No harm done? And don't do it again?

No harm, just clean out the grease and apply oil

chazz101s wrote: I'm still clueless about how to apply the recommended 3-5 drops of motor oil (I've got 10W40 - OK to use?) - just put the drops into the bearing well/at the bottom and then let the tight fit of the shaft and bearing itself do the application job? Or something else - like putting the 3-5 drops on the circumference of the shaft itself?

10W40 is okay. Yes, just place 3-5 drops into the bearing hole. The oil creates a lubricating film between the contact patch of the spinning bearing and the stationary thrust pad.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Ghost rider » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:36 am

Can I chime in on this I was redirected here from another forum. I have a Scout LE it uses a well bearing originally for hw-19. This year I emailed VPI and was steered toward super lube. Do I use Mobil one one mine?

2 days ago with no prior hint I had a problem I turn on the motor and it would not spin the platter. Removing the belt the platter would barely spin at all. In January I lubed it with super lube. I had little luck today the vapor seal took hours to seat and when it did the platter was stiff. Another forum suggested cleaning with alcohol and I lubed again with super lube. I need to do it again with Mobil one yes?
Ghost rider

Next

Return to Support Forum