fatboy uni static thump

Re: fatboy uni static thump

Postby MOON » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:16 pm

To solve grounding I run a ground wire right from the screw on the receptacle that the ground wire from the panel attaches to. I run that to my phono pre and then to the tt.
Classic 4, 12"3d, hrx pulley, 3 belts, dual pivot, sds, Pneuance NP-2 Peunmatic footers, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution PS, Audio Sensibility silver statement cable, Tru lift & sweep
MOON

Postby nrw » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks Mr_Putty, and Moon, I had the system on earlier today to try again to solve the problem. After letting the system warm-up I put on a record, and to my surprise...…….NO static thump...…!!!!!!??????? I hadn't changed anything, but it was gone !!!!!!!!!!?????????? I'm not sure what happened, but thanks all for the suggestions and attempts to help. I'll be sure to let you know if it comes back.
Regards, nrw
nrw

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:27 pm

nrw wrote:Thanks Mr_Putty, and Moon, I had the system on earlier today to try again to solve the problem. After letting the system warm-up I put on a record, and to my surprise...…….NO static thump...…!!!!!!??????? I hadn't changed anything, but it was gone !!!!!!!!!!?????????? I'm not sure what happened, but thanks all for the suggestions and attempts to help. I'll be sure to let you know if it comes back.
Regards, nrw

My guess is it has nothing to do with the arm or the table. Probably something causing grunge in the electric line. I've had very similar phenomena that turned out to be electrical supply noise.....If it does it again, take note of what may be on that wasn't when silent....Aquarium heaters, dimmers, appliances, Powerline ethernet adapters are highly suspect....I have lots of stories around such weirdness...…..
Letsmakeadeal

Postby 930turbo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:58 am

nrw wrote:Today I replaced my metal 12.7 (Valhalla wired) uni with the new fatboy uni. I also had to change the pivot spike. My old one has the dampening well. After dialing everything in, I sat down to listen. All went well with the sound except I started to hear what I can only describe as a "static thump". Not a click, tick, or pop. After trying several sides of at least 8 different records, I started to time the spaces between thumps. They were repeated approx. every 1 minute and 10 seconds. On every side of every record. The only way I found to stop it was to stand next to the table and run an anti-static brush on the record while it was playing. Nothing else in the system has changed, and I never had this problem with the old arm wand. Any suggestions????

Hi guys ,

Finally got my VPI FatBoy Unipivot 12” . Also experience the same problem. When I was using my JMW 12.7 metal tonearm w/ the Lyra Kleos I did not attach the ground wire of the VPI phono cable because it had a hum . When I installed the FatBoy w/ the Lyra Kleos I did the same and what happened was I had this static thump . I attached the ground terminals to their respective ground lug from the output terminal box and the ground lug of the preamp and problem was solved .

VPI TNT 6,Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X FatBoy uni 12,Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line,REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Previous

Return to Support Forum