fatboy uni static thump

fatboy uni static thump

Postby nrw » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Today I replaced my metal 12.7 (Valhalla wired) uni with the new fatboy uni. I also had to change the pivot spike. My old one has the dampening well. After dialing everything in, I sat down to listen. All went well with the sound except I started to hear what I can only describe as a "static thump". Not a click, tick, or pop. After trying several sides of at least 8 different records, I started to time the spaces between thumps. They were repeated approx. every 1 minute and 10 seconds. On every side of every record. The only way I found to stop it was to stand next to the table and run an anti-static brush on the record while it was playing. Nothing else in the system has changed, and I never had this problem with the old arm wand. Any suggestions????
nrw

Re: fatboy uni static thump

Postby nrw » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 am

I posted this question (see previous post) on Sunday and not had any replies. Does anyone have a suggestion or can help?
nrw

Postby tony22 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 am

nrw, I did not have this problem, sorry.
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby 10ovr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Do you have a ground on the bearing ??
10ovr

Postby suntea » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Do you have a streaming/network player near your preamp and turntable? I had to move mine to stop this type of thing. Best of luck.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3,Ortofon quint Brnz,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby nrw » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks 10ovr, My grounding setup has stayed the same from one arm (12.7) to the other (fatboy). I've always had a wire from the spindle bearing on my HRX to the rca terminal block. Since the problem started with the new arm I've tried: disconnecting the wire, connecting to my phono preamp, connecting to the vta tower, and connecting to my preamp. Nothing else in the system has changed except the new arm and pivot spike.

Thanks suntea, I don't have a media server. Only a cd player. It remains in the same location as always and makes no difference whether it is on or off, plugged in, or unplugged.

regards, nrw
nrw

Postby 10ovr » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:46 am

nrw wrote:Thanks 10ovr, My grounding setup has stayed the same from one arm (12.7) to the other (fatboy). I've always had a wire from the spindle bearing on my HRX to the rca terminal block. Since the problem started with the new arm I've tried: disconnecting the wire, connecting to my phono preamp, connecting to the vta tower, and connecting to my preamp. Nothing else in the system has changed except the new arm and pivot spike.

Thanks suntea, I don't have a media server. Only a cd player. It remains in the same location as always and makes no difference whether it is on or off, plugged in, or unplugged.

regards, nrw

Did you clean the new pivot spike ?? 0000 steel wool and when I say clean the spike I mean remove it and clean the whole spike ,,
Last edited by 10ovr on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
10ovr

Postby tony22 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47 am

This is weird. The periodicity almost makes it seem like some kind of charge over time and then a discharge at around 1 minute and 10 seconds. I wonder what would happen if you could keep the bare end of a wire (with the other end attached to ground) touching the platter as it rotates. Hmm, do you have a metal platter or an acrylic?

Ah, just saw 10ovr's suggestion. That a good catch!
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby nrw » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 am

Hi Guys, I have "steelwooled" the spike, top to bottom...…….no change. I have attached a ground wire to the locking nut on the bottom of the spike assembly...…...no change. I have tried playing records without the periphery ring...…….no change. I tried removing the record clamp (heavy VPI weight)……….no change. My Platter is the 30lb (?) heavy platter on an HRX.

Regards, nrw
nrw

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:37 am

nrw,
Does the noise interval change at 45 rpm, or if you have a speed controller, disconnected or set at a different speed?
Mr_Putty

Next

Return to Support Forum