Belt materials

Re: Belt materials

Postby madrac » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:15 am

Mr_Putty wrote:Suntea
I bought new EDPM belts from Austin Seal Co, Inc, 9400 Business Drive, Austin, TX, 78758

I got two for my Prime in late 2017 and they are still fine. These were a custom order but very reasonable. My invoice says they are spliced, but I can’t see it. Keep in mind that they are made for high pressure conditions and chemical resistance so I’m not surprised the quality is very high. Mine were 0.070inch CS (cross section) X 296MM ID. I think these are a bit smaller CS than VPI buna belts. Your ID may need to be different and a speed controller is highly recommended. I’m not using one, but even run two of them on a standard pulley. The adjacent grooves are so close speed wise that I don’t think it makes much difference. Of course it’s a compromise, but what isn’t?
Give them a call, they are nice people and willing to help. My order took about a week to get.

Would you happen to have the part number?
madrac

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:37 am

Madrac,
Custom sizes have no part number. However, their order number on my invoice is 18463. I listed the exact belt size in my original post below to help anyone ordering. It’s based on the Austin Seal measuring method that should be standard in the industry. The size I listed is for a Prime with outboard motor.
Hope this helps.
Mr_Putty

Postby madrac » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks, Mr-Putty.
I believe belts are the same for Prime & Classic...I went ahead and ordered a couple to try out as not too expensive.
madrac

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:20 am

madrac
When you get them, gently stretch them in different areas to give them some relaxation. Before putting any on the pulley. Let us know what you think, please.
Mr_Putty

Postby madrac » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:madrac
When you get them, gently stretch them in different areas to give them some relaxation. Before putting any on the pulley. Let us know what you think, please.

Will do. I'll try them before swapping out my current metal arm for the 3D one I just got a few days ago.
madrac

Postby vienna acoustics » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:31 pm

I have just received the calibrated EPDM belts from Trelleborg Germany for the rim drive of my Avenger.
Brent you were right this is a superior material and it’s way more stable than the original VPI.
They are very stable and after installation they do not present any surface anomaly or any hump thus the speed is very stable.

The measured wow at 33.33 rpm has fallen to 0.4% and at 45 rpm at 0.25%

This is translated in a way better sound especially the piano is incredible.

This is the cheapest and best tweak ever made.
I have now a stock of 100 belts, I can change every week :lol:

In regards With the first EPDM belts I had tried, it now seems that either they were of inferior quality or not of the right dimensions.
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Tidal Contriva G2 SE, VPI Avenger Reference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, Airtight Opus 1DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby vienna acoustics » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Also the dynamics are incredible and the sound way more natural

Really this tweak is the cheapest with great impact on the sound and performance, so glad to give the matter a second try
Speakers;Tidal Contriva G2 SE, VPI Avenger Reference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, Airtight Opus 1DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby Brf » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:28 pm

vienna acoustics wrote:I have just received the calibrated EPDM belts from Trelleborg Germany for the rim drive of my Avenger.

Brent you were right this is a superior material and it’s way more stable than the original VPI.
They are very stable and after installation they do not present any surface anomaly or any hump thus the speed is very stable.

This is the cheapest and best tweak ever made.
I have now a stock of 100 belts, I can change every week :lol:

VA, have I ever lead you astray ;) Glad it worked out for you. I thought I had a lot of replacement rim drive belts which numbers in the 30's. BTW, I change my rim belt every 6 months for the simple reason that I have a ton of them.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby vienna acoustics » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:52 pm

indeed i still can’t believe it
vienna acoustics

Postby RHSims » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 pm

VA

I am totally intrigued, having just done the 3 belt HRX pulley upgrade and heard a significant improvement.

Could you post the part number your ordered? I find the German website a bit opaque.

Thanks much

Rob
RHSims

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum