Belt materials

Re: Belt materials

Postby Johnny » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:42 am

VA, are we discussing the motor drive belts, or the belt that goes around the rim head unit?
Johnny

Postby vienna acoustics » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 am

Johnny wrote:VA, are we discussing the motor drive belts, or the belt that goes around the rim head unit?

Both Johnny
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Tidal Contriva G2 SE, VPI Avenger Reference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, Airtight Opus 1DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby MMMC » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Brf wrote:I have tried a number of materials and over the years I found Ethylenepropylene-diene (EPDM) to perform the best. Also, there are supplier/manufacture variances in the physical properties of nitrile which can affect its elasticity and resistance to compression.

Brf,
Do you mind posting the specifications you provided the manufacturer of the EPDM belts, or should I simply go to VPI for this information since I do not employ rim drive? I have deployed a third belt to my HRX and agree with the opinion of it being an upgrade. Belts of higher quality is practically a no brainer. One additional question, were you also required to order 100 of the EPDM belts?

Thanks
MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby supersax » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:15 pm

vienna acoustics,

Would you please check your PM?

Dave
supersax

Postby tony22 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:27 pm

vienna acoustics wrote:I have just received the calibrated EPDM belts from Trelleborg Germany for the rim drive of my Avenger.
Brent you were right this is a superior material and it’s way more stable than the original VPI.
They are very stable and after installation they do not present any surface anomaly or any hump thus the speed is very stable.

The measured wow at 33.33 rpm has fallen to 0.4% and at 45 rpm at 0.25%

This is translated in a way better sound especially the piano is incredible.

This is the cheapest and best tweak ever made.
I have now a stock of 100 belts, I can change every week :lol:

In regards With the first EPDM belts I had tried, it now seems that either they were of inferior quality or not of the right dimensions.

VA, I just learned something that may explain the last part of this older post.

I've been looking for EPDM belts here in the U.S. and learned that they can be either molded or spliced. The spliced belts typically (apparently) have to be vulcanized whereas the molded belts do not. This can make the variation in thickness around the belt larger for the spliced belts. It seems like a molded EPDM belt would be the one that could provide the highest level of precision. Unfortunately so far I have been unable to find anyone here who can produce a molded EPDM belt of the necessary size, but I'm still looking.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby vienna acoustics » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:43 pm

That’s right Tony. Molded are far more superior than the spliced
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Tidal Contriva G2 SE, VPI Avenger Reference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, Airtight Opus 1DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:01 pm

tony22 wrote:
vienna acoustics wrote:I have just received the calibrated EPDM belts from Trelleborg Germany for the rim drive of my Avenger.
Brent you were right this is a superior material and it’s way more stable than the original VPI.
They are very stable and after installation they do not present any surface anomaly or any hump thus the speed is very stable.

The measured wow at 33.33 rpm has fallen to 0.4% and at 45 rpm at 0.25%

This is translated in a way better sound especially the piano is incredible.

This is the cheapest and best tweak ever made.
I have now a stock of 100 belts, I can change every week :lol:

In regards With the first EPDM belts I had tried, it now seems that either they were of inferior quality or not of the right dimensions.

VA, I just learned something that may explain the last part of this older post.

I've been looking for EPDM belts here in the U.S. and learned that they can be either molded or spliced. The spliced belts typically (apparently) have to be vulcanized whereas the molded belts do not. This can make the variation in thickness around the belt larger for the spliced belts. It seems like a molded EPDM belt would be the one that could provide the highest level of precision. Unfortunately so far I have been unable to find anyone here who can produce a molded EPDM belt of the necessary size, but I'm still looking.

Tony22, you will have a tough time finding a molded belt the size of the platter drive belt. Both VA and myself use a rim drive which utilizes much smaller belts which are almost always molded.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:29 pm

I haven’t given up yet! :D
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:06 am

tony22 wrote:I haven’t given up yet! :D

Not sure if there is one in a size close enough but what about the Clearaudio Silent Belt which is molded silicone with no seams or joints?

https://www.analogshop.de/en/produkte/produkte.php?mainCat=Accessories&subCat=Silent%20Belt
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Ryan Speakers R630, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby tony22 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:32 am

Interesting. Thanks. Not sure how silicone would compare to EPDM. :?:
tony22

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum