Glare?

Glare?

Postby Dorian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 pm

I've listened to two separate albums today, both female vocals (Adele 25 and Sophia Pfister Birdcage) and I wince slightly when they hit upper midrange notes. Overall tone and soundstage sound great though. Is this "glare"? And if so, do I need to lower my VTA slightly?

Thanks.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Re: Glare?

Postby Tlarwa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Funny you bring this up. I had the same experience last night listening to Esperanza Spalding's Chamber Music Society LP (excellent sonics on this one, by the way). I don't listen to female vocals that reach into upper registers like that very often, so it's hard to say how long my system has been demonstrating that. I ended up resetting my cartridge (azimuth, VTF and alignment) and it took care of it. In fact, it made an amazing difference. I hadn't check any of the settings in the past year, but I have had the arm off the spike a few times. Apparently things got out of whack just enough to cause issues.
Handbuilt SET, VPI Classic 1, AT-33PTG, Dynavector P75, hand-built passive pre, Blair Chapman built SRPP active pre, handbuilt folded open baffle floorstanders, Kimber Kable wires, a digital front end that I never listen to!
Tlarwa

Postby tom collins » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm

probably hot recording. if you could play them on someone else's machine you could confirm or not.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Dorian wrote:I've listened to two separate albums today, both female vocals (Adele 25 and Sophia Pfister Birdcage) and I wince slightly when they hit upper midrange notes. Overall tone and soundstage sound great though. Is this "glare"? And if so, do I need to lower my VTA slightly?

Thanks.

So there went Audio Nirvana :lol:
10ovr

Postby Dorian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:37 pm

10ovr wrote:
Dorian wrote:I've listened to two separate albums today, both female vocals (Adele 25 and Sophia Pfister Birdcage) and I wince slightly when they hit upper midrange notes. Overall tone and soundstage sound great though. Is this "glare"? And if so, do I need to lower my VTA slightly?

Thanks.

So there went Audio Nirvana :lol:

LOL. Still sounds great overall! I wasn't listening to these two albums during the nirvana state! They are both modern recordings so could be a bit 'hot', like Tom said. Tlawa, I just setup my cart recently and am confident it is really dialed in. I have been playing with VTA a bit so that's the only thing I think could be contributing, if anything.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Stringreen » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:44 pm

..just a technical consideration.....when raising or lowing the back of the arm, you should recheck azimuth....it will have changed
Stringreen

Postby Golear » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:08 pm

I'd try the following:
(1) take out the Stillpoints LPi, try with the plain HRX weight and then with the 2 dimes.
(2) take out the Symposium stand and try with a plain wood shelf. Maple is, in my opinion, ideal.
Golear

Postby Dorian » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Stringreen wrote:..just a technical consideration.....when raising or lowing the back of the arm, you should recheck azimuth....it will have changed

Yes thanks Stringreen I had already done that. Seems fine today. Maybe it was my ears!
Dorian

Return to Support Forum