Need 2-Step Motor Pulley for Classic 1

Need 2-Step Motor Pulley for Classic 1

Postby Tlarwa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Long story, and I’m an idiot, but the bottom line is that I’ve stripped the plastic of the pulley where the set screws reside, and now I can’t snug the brass collar (inside the pulley) onto the motor shaft. Does anyone know where I can source a new pulley? I looked at all the VPI dealer websites (Elusive Disc, MusicDirect, etc.) and don’t see them anywhere. Does anyone have a spare or can point me in the right direction to source one?

Thanks,
Tom
Handbuilt SET, VPI Classic 1, AT-33PTG, Dynavector P75, hand-built passive pre, Blair Chapman built SRPP active pre, handbuilt folded open baffle floorstanders, Kimber Kable wires, a digital front end that I never listen to!
Tlarwa

Re: Need 2-Step Motor Pulley for Classic 1

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:22 pm

Options:
1. Just have someone drill out the old threads and retap the hole for a larger set screw.
2. Clean parts with alcohol. Put pulley back on where it was and add some CA glue to the motor shaft. Make sure the CA does not flow into the motor bearing. A toothpick can be used to apply small amounts of CA.
3. Add some shaved toothpick like strips lengthwise (one is probably enough) into the stripped hole and reinstall the old setscrew. It will not allow as much tightening, but should work if you are careful. You may need to clean the stripped threads with the correct tap for this to work.

If you are concerned about balance, bolt suppliers may have a plastic set screw, or you can add some weight to the side of the pulley opposite the new screw.
Mr_Putty

Postby Tlarwa » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks. My plan was actually to go to the hardware store today to see if I can source the next size up in set screws. I think that would work. I did end up locating replacemt pulleys on the bobs Devices site, but he wants $66 shipped, which seems pretty steep. I’ll make every effort to recondition the one I have first!
Handbuilt SET, VPI Classic 1, AT-33PTG, Dynavector P75, hand-built passive pre, Blair Chapman built SRPP active pre, handbuilt folded open baffle floorstanders, Kimber Kable wires, a digital front end that I never listen to!
Tlarwa

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:19 am

Post a "wanted to buy" a 2-step pulley in the forum classifieds. There are a lot of users who have changed to a single speed HRX pulley and will have a 2-step they are not using.
Brf
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum