Please Help With Sibilance

Re: Please Help With Sibilance

Postby Dizastical » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks again for all the info guys. I have the cartridge loaded per Peter's recommendation through a musical surroundings nova III. The cartridge I had before this was an ortofon 2M Bronze. I will continue to play records and hope that the sibilince goes away. I know I can tune the bass by tail up a bit but I do not want to amplify the sibilince I'm getting by doing this. I will stop obsessing over it for another 25 hours or so and see if the cartridge settles in a bit.
Dizastical

Postby billo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:28 am

"Can you please explain what you mean by this? ----->"Realign the cantilever so it's a barely perceptible split hair not parallel to the Feickert" "
Try aligning the cantilever so it is not quite true to what the Feikert suggests. By a very small amount, align so the cantilever rear is just slightly not in line with the stylus tip as it sits on the target. The sibilance should improve to one side of parallel and worsen on the other. Alignment is by far the most common sibilance problem. Once the sibilance is solved, distorted peaks (break up) on hot recordings can require even more dialing in - and luck.
billo

Postby tom collins » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:02 pm

OP: Good call. Just give it a little time.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, center weight, 12.0 arm, 12.7 arm, SDS, SRA platform; Soundsmith Gold Denon, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Cary Audio PH302 ver 2 phono-pre; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Dizastical » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Billo,
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now the cantilever is perfectly aligned with grid lines and the sibilince is dead center in the singers voice. Not off to right or left at all.
VPI Prime / SoundSmith Zephyr MK III / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Musical Surroundings NOVA III / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT / ProJect VC-S MK II
Dizastical

Postby billo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:27 pm

Typically Azimuth pulls vocals to one side or the other. Alignment is sibilance and break up. Raising the VTA does not increase sibilance, it subjectively decreases and tightens bass so the sibilance is more apparent. I've never cured sibilance by break in. Analog is no easy road - Bite the bullet, do what you have to do, as many times as necessary. If you're good it'll take half a day. If not, do it experimentally over time.
billo

Postby billo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Just covering the bases - I don't know how experienced you are. Did you immobilize the platter and remove the arm to set the Feickert pointer directly over the pivot spike? If not, that's the problem.
billo

Postby Dizastical » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:30 am

I've never uploaded pics so I hope this works. I removed the arm and set the feickert directly over the pivot spike. Here are my current alignments with lots of sibilince. The cantilever looks to be angled ever so slightly to the right. I am going to fine tune the alignment today. Would this tiny amount of tilt cause sibilance?
Attachments
20190105_133848.jpg
20190105_133848.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 482 times
20190105_133429.jpg
20190105_133429.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 482 times
20190105_133126.jpg
20190105_133126.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 482 times
VPI Prime / SoundSmith Zephyr MK III / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Musical Surroundings NOVA III / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT / ProJect VC-S MK II
Dizastical

Postby billo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:53 am

Any misalignment can cause sibilance.
You're at step one - overhang. What you're looking for there is the stylus exactly center target and the cantilever is parallel to the lines. If either is the least bit off, so is the alignment. At steps 2 and 3 the cantilever should be parallel at both null points. Look at the cantilever from the front if you can. It's easier when you can see the lines.
Also, make sure you have no anti-skate. The stylus should not deflect inward or outward when it's set down on the Feickert.
billo

Postby Dizastical » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:03 pm

I understand the alignment process. I was just wondering if that small of a deflection to the right was enough to cause sibilance. I am going to fix the alignment now to see if it clears up. Thanks for all the info.
Dizastical

Postby billo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:29 pm

The cantilever is true enough in your photo for setting overhang (step 1). The actual alignment is happening at step 2 where parallelism is much more critical. It's impossible to tell from the photos.
billo

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum