Grounding Problem, Help Needed

Grounding Problem, Help Needed

Postby MOON » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:26 pm

20190102_203414.jpg
20190102_203414.jpg (590.27 KiB) Viewed 492 times
I have a ground problem I can hear with a record playing, especially during quieter parts in a song. If I have the stylus on a stationary record with the volume up I can run my fingers over the rca phono cable from the junction box down the ic and hear this through the speakers.

The same thing happens touching the junction box. With the stylus on the stationary record, volume up it is silent at the speakers. However playing music I hear the sound as I described when I touched the wires during quieter parts of a song.

I have my Prime tt gounded from the junction box to the phono pre and added a 2nd ground added last week from under the tt spindle underneath to the phono pre, no better luck. I have lifted the phono cables away from all other cables and still get that microphonic sound coming through especially during quieter parts of a song.

My phono pre is beside the prime with about a 5 inch space between them as seen in the picture with the phono stage being slightly lower. I just took the tonearm off the pivot point it sits on. That whole pivot point is painted black.Perhaps giving the tip a very light sand so there is metal to metal as I have read that is a fix.

I get the same amplified sound with the grounds on and off.

. My phono stages owners manual says to have it 18 inches away from the tt, thoughts on that? That's an Adept Response power cond itinerary on the shelf below the phono stage. I could move the phono stage to the far left where the amp is.

Any suggestions or help would be great.
Thanks
Classic 4, 12"3dr,hrx pulley, 3 belts,dual pivot,sds,Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Re: Grounding Problem, Help Needed

Postby 33+1third » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:09 am

"My phono stages owners manual says to have it 18 inches away from the tt" Good starting point, my phono stage was the source for my noise.
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby Brf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:42 am

Yes, the ground path between the bearing cup and the pivot spike must have continuity, therefore, I would remove the black paint on the pivot spike which could be acting as an insulator.

No other piece of equipment is asked to provide 60 db of gain, therefore, the phono stage is very susceptible to picking up noise and hum from other equipment. I would also experiment with other phono stage locations.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:53 am

What Brent said. While I didn't have paint on the bearing cup, it was the source of my own grounding problems with my first 10" 3D arm. Turned out it had to be replaced (the arm). The new one did not have the problem.
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby MOON » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:43 pm

I sanded the black paint off the tonearm pivot. This helped however if I lightly tap the phono cable from the junction box to half way down the cable it is amplified through the speakers. Is this normal ? This was done having the cartridge down, stylus on a stationary record with the volume at normal playing levels.

I still have a hum between tracks and as the volume is raised on more silent passages of music playing.

Tapping on the first half of the phono cable from the phono stage going towards the junction box it is dead silent. I am using an Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable which many others on this forum use.

When the tonearm is in the tonearm holder with the volume high, it is dead silent
Classic 4, 12"3dr,hrx pulley, 3 belts,dual pivot,sds,Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Return to Support Forum