I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby tony22 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Brf wrote:Digging the 12” Fatboy Gimbal..........more to come!

Oh, Brent. You're going to have to give us more than that! ;) :)
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby MMMC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:13 pm

tony22 wrote:

Oh, Brent. You're going to have to give us more than that! ;) :)

tony22,

He already did...."Digging the 12” Fatboy Gimbal..........more to come!"

We will have to be patient and wait. :lol:

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Brf » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:05 pm

10ovr wrote:

PIX :D

Mounted the second tonearm and now dialing in the Fatboy. So far, loving the Fatboy.
Attachments
B33DA8B4-326A-4BD8-A144-3BC62A81AF72.jpeg
B33DA8B4-326A-4BD8-A144-3BC62A81AF72.jpeg (875.38 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:16 pm

You're nothing but a tease, Brent!
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:33 pm

MMMC wrote:
Letsmakeadeal wrote:I also decided on the Gimballed FatBoy. I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago. I had 2 - 3DRs. Sold one and have the 2nd in hand for the swap. Also have a 12" Classic listed for sale. No more HOT swapping arms for me. Brent, are you going to make a mount to run both arms on the HRX simultaneously since you really can't HOT swap the 3DR and Gimballed Fatboy. None of these extra arms I had provided enough mass to make my Miyajima ZERO totally happy anyway. I am putting it on a different table now with a higher mass arm. From all I have read, it seems almost all comments lean to the Gimbal arm. No one is going to openly make a big deal about it since unipivot is VPI's legacy but I am 90% sure the Gimbal is the better sounding arm. HW says so. Myles implies so. What arm did they put on the 40th Anniversary table? And the list goes on. FWIW

Happy Holidays to everyone and Merry Christmas

Lmad, have you considered contacting Mayajima about a headshell weight, or cart weight to attain the additional mass needed to make your Miyajima Zero happier? Much simpler than buying and trying multiple arms, because you start with a known property of the arm you are using.

MMMC

I installed my ZERO on a 22 graham (effective mass) arm on a vintage Yamaha GT2000 DD table along with the steel headshell attachment screws / headshell weights from Soundsmith. I modified my ZERO to allow for the use of the Soundsmith Attachment screws/weights. I also did not want to swap arms anymore. So far so good, but I just got it loosely dialed in yesterday as I am waiting for Yip at MInt to make me a proper alignment protractor. I don't think it is quite as critical with the conical stylus. In any event it sounds very good. Tracking is set at 3.5 grahams. More to follow
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Brf wrote:
10ovr wrote:

Mounted the second tonearm and now dialing in the Fatboy. So far, loving the Fatboy.

Beautiful job Brent. I knew it would be cool. Who made the mount for you? BTW, those are some nice looking shoes on that baby and it is obvious that you have put in some hours polishing that beautiful table. :D
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MMMC » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:49 am

Brf wrote:
10ovr wrote:

Brf,

Sweet job on mounting the 3D arm!!! It looks like you are using some fairly stock VPI hardware, along with a nice custom tower collar plate to attach it all to.
I have been pondering how to mount the 3D arm when I take the dive, and whether the effort would be worth the headaches, and you've surprised me with locating it on the back side of the HRX. I was thinking that somehow I must mount it on the front side of the HRX due to the need to have access to the arms finger lift for cue efficiency, the cue lever, and never wanting to work over the top of the table. I, of course, have no idea if my thinking is/was correct, so I hope you will share what your experience produces.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:39 pm

MMMC wrote:Brf,

Sweet job on mounting the 3D arm!!! It looks like you are using some fairly stock VPI hardware, along with a nice custom tower collar plate to attach it all to.
I have been pondering how to mount the 3D arm when I take the dive, and whether the effort would be worth the headaches, and you've surprised me with locating it on the back side of the HRX. I was thinking that somehow I must mount it on the front side of the HRX due to the need to have access to the arms finger lift for cue efficiency, the cue lever, and never wanting to work over the top of the table. I, of course, have no idea if my thinking is/was correct, so I hope you will share what your experience produces.

MMMC

Hey MMMC

Before I got my HRX I had a Classic 4 with two arms. One mounted on the back left as is Brent's.. I did not care for the set up so much because of cramped quarters around the table and limited access to set up, etc of the second arm. I tried hot swapping arms for a brief period on my HRX and I did not care too much for that either. That is why I settled on a second table. For me it is a much easier solution. If I were a youngster I might view it differently but I am all for simpler these days.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby tony22 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Brent, any updates to report?
tony22

Postby MMMC » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:21 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:

MMMC

Hey MMMC

Before I got my HRX I had a Classic 4 with two arms. One mounted on the back left as is Brent's.. I did not care for the set up so much because of cramped quarters around the table and limited access to set up, etc of the second arm. I tried hot swapping arms for a brief period on my HRX and I did not care too much for that either. That is why I settled on a second table. For me it is a much easier solution. If I were a youngster I might view it differently but I am all for simpler these days.

Letsmakeadeal wrote:

MMMC

Hey MMMC

LMAD,

At this point, with definitely no desire to run two turntables, I honestly have "no clue" as to the "best", or "most practical" path to attempt to implement 2 tonearms, with one being a 14 in Fatboy, and one being the 12 in unipivot I currently have. I've used a "unipivot" since the 9in on the Scout, and always enjoyed the open sound of the arm, also in the 10 and 12 inch versions. I realize this is a bit counter to the affection currently afforded the gimbal 12 inch Fatboy, so it's possible I may only implement one 14 or 16 inch Fatboy Unipivot for adherence to the "K-I-S-S" principle. In other words, ONE tonearm is HALF the headaches of TWO tonearms, when it comes to installation, and maintenance. It will require both time, and patience, to figure out all the ergonomic issues for the implementing of 14 and 16 inch Fatboy tonearms if use of 2 arms is the end goal. Brf is the vanguard with his current dual arm implementation, with 2 thumbs up. I'm just not sure how, and if, what will work with future longer Fatboy arms of 14 and 16 inches.
Maybe only one Fatboy arm of 14in or 16in, given the additional cost of purchase, just may be all my wallet can suffer. That would completely resolve the issue of implementing two tonearms.

MMMC
MMMC

Previous

Return to Support Forum