I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby tony22 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks Bob.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby jonathanb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Bob, do you use the dual pivot mod with your unipivot arm?
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Guss2 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:58 pm

jonathanb wrote:Bob, do you use the dual pivot mod with your unipivot arm?

I was wondering as well, because it definitely tightened the bass on my Avenger.
Guss2

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:52 pm

I no longer have the unipivot arm. I did not do the comparison with the dual pivot on the unipivot.
Bob
VPI Certified Dealer

Postby MMMC » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:46 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:I also decided on the Gimballed FatBoy. I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago. I had 2 - 3DRs. Sold one and have the 2nd in hand for the swap. Also have a 12" Classic listed for sale. No more HOT swapping arms for me. Brent, are you going to make a mount to run both arms on the HRX simultaneously since you really can't HOT swap the 3DR and Gimballed Fatboy. None of these extra arms I had provided enough mass to make my Miyajima ZERO totally happy anyway. I am putting it on a different table now with a higher mass arm. From all I have read, it seems almost all comments lean to the Gimbal arm. No one is going to openly make a big deal about it since unipivot is VPI's legacy but I am 90% sure the Gimbal is the better sounding arm. HW says so. Myles implies so. What arm did they put on the 40th Anniversary table? And the list goes on. FWIW

Happy Holidays to everyone and Merry Christmas

Lmad, have you considered contacting Mayajima about a headshell weight, or cart weight to attain the additional mass needed to make your Miyajima Zero happier? Much simpler than buying and trying multiple arms, because you start with a known property of the arm you are using.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby MMMC » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:01 am

Brf wrote:MMMC and tony22, I will be keeping the 12-3DR with the dual pivot and running it along with the Gimbal 12 Fatboy. My decision really came down to the simple fact that I have never owned a VPI gimbal tonearm, therefore, no better time than the present (plus the reports have been excellent).

I will definitely report back on my findings.

Brf,

Bravo!!!
Thank you. I was very quietly hoping you would be taking the path of implementing BOTH arms on your HRX. I know the limitations of my engineering knowledge, therefore well aware that Harry, or someone like yourself would need to blaze the trail on implementing dual tonearms of different lengths on the HRX, especially with the longer tonearms. I would like to keep my 12" 3DR arm because it provides me with a second tonearm I have wanted since I formerly had 2 JMW 10's I could easily swap on my Aries table. I must discipline myself to be patient to allow much of this new tech to settle. I may want to implement two unipivot arms, the 12in 3DR unipivot and a 14 in unipivot Fatboy because the majority of my record collection is acoustic jazz. One thing I am fairly certain of is, my current HRX, barring a Lotto win, is the platform I will be working with for all future improvements and upgrades. It is somewhat restricted to the employment of 2 tonearms, but I don't foresee myself exceeding that limitation to require the purchase of an Avenger. A limitation I can live with. Keeping my current arm also means it will take more time to bank the cash needed to finance the upgrade dreams, but "Such is life..."! I still have time to save before the 14 inch Fatboy debut.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby tony22 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:27 am

I just re-read Fremer's Avenger review and confirmed my recollection that he said he made needle drops for both Fatboys. Anyone have any idea if he posted them on analogplanet? I did a quick search but nothing came up.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Golear » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:34 pm

I'd just like to make an observation.

There are so many differences in our rooms and equipment and the music we listen to. It's hard to know if anyone's comments will be relevant to our own systems. Even if one goes to the VPI House, the results will be relevant for that room, with that equipment.

I think the hi-fi hobby might have taken a wrong turn decades ago. The press started to bestow "Best" titles on components, as though hi-fi was like running a 100m race. And people used to read the magazines, and then buy what was recommended. Of course, it's not like that. We've all heard expensive systems, made up of well reviewed gear, that sounded quite terrible. All we can say is that each component will sound... different. We have to hear it, in our systems, and find out if the difference is important to us.
Golear

Postby Brf » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Digging the 12” Fatboy Gimbal..........more to come!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Brf wrote:Digging the 12” Fatboy Gimbal..........more to come!

PIX :D
10ovr

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum