I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby Brf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:46 am

tony22 wrote:[

Yes, I've heard similar from HW. In my case, I think the Benz carts I use tend to be a bit more "full" sounding than typical MC carts, which might suggest the unipivot would be better. But I also have the VAS HW Special, which Harry has told me he thinks works better with the gimbal.

It's frustrating.


Yesterday I flipped a coin and decided that I will be going gimbal.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4041
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby tony22 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:02 pm

jonathanb wrote:Do you have more than one tonearm wand?


Yes, I have a number of them. But the rest are all 10-10.5" arms. I already asked if I could trade in more than one arm toward a Fatboy. Unfortunately the answer was no. If I could, I'd give up half of what I have for a gimbal and the other half for a unipivot.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
User avatar
tony22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby MMMC » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:14 am

Brf wrote:
tony22 wrote:[

Yes, I've heard similar from HW. In my case, I think the Benz carts I use tend to be a bit more "full" sounding than typical MC carts, which might suggest the unipivot would be better. But I also have the VAS HW Special, which Harry has told me he thinks works better with the gimbal.

It's frustrating.


Yesterday I flipped a coin and decided that I will be going gimbal.


Brf,

If I remember correctly, you "modified/upgraded" your 12"-3D arm with the 2nd pivot, so are you trading in your 12" 3d or keeping it to benchmark against your new gimbal fatboy? If you are holding on to it, will you please report your impressions/evaluation of the degree of sonic change your ears report. I'm no different from anyone else when the bug to make an improvement hits, the decision of which improvement modification to make is tormenting, so flipping a coin is maybe as good a way as any to decide which way to go on a Fatboy as a uni-pivot or gimbal. Harry has spoken to the future 14" Fatboy, which is where I really want to be in the Fatboy realm but that is still many many months, minimum 1 yr to appear. The sparse information so far on longer arms all indicate sonic benefits of the longer arm tubes and why I am willing to wait for a VPI 14" arm. Thus my curiosity on the 2nd pivot mod's degree of sonic improvement, compared to the switch to the Gimbal Fatboy. I hope this was not too confusing. I don't want to spend money on a minor improvement that I then give away later on another upgrade quest. Thanks

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC
Senior Member
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:37 am

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby tony22 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:56 am

MMMC wrote:I'm no different from anyone else when the bug to make an improvement hits, the decision of which improvement modification to make is tormenting, so flipping a coin is maybe as good a way as any to decide which way to go on a Fatboy as a uni-pivot or gimbal. Harry has spoken to the future 14" Fatboy, which is where I really want to be in the Fatboy realm but that is still many many months, minimum 1 yr to appear. The sparse information so far on longer arms all indicate sonic benefits of the longer arm tubes and why I am willing to wait for a VPI 14" arm. Thus my curiosity on the 2nd pivot mod's degree of sonic improvement, compared to the switch to the Gimbal Fatboy. I hope this was not too confusing. I don't want to spend money on a minor improvement that I then give away later on another upgrade quest. Thanks

MMMC


Bingo. You did a great job of saying what's been on my mind as well, MMMC.

I thought about it some more and now I'm leaning toward the gimbal 'boy. Not because Brent is getting one :D , but I figured if the unipivot supposedly has a bit more extension in the high end, that could be compensated for (if it really would be needed) with a slight adjustment in MC loading. I dunno. Too simplistic?
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
User avatar
tony22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:26 am

MMMC and tony22, I will be keeping the 12-3DR with the dual pivot and running it along with the Gimbal 12 Fatboy. My decision really came down to the simple fact that I have never owned a VPI gimbal tonearm, therefore, no better time than the present (plus the reports have been excellent).

I will definitely report back on my findings.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4041
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:13 pm

I have used both the unipivot and gimballed arm with a Cardas Myrtle Heart cartridge (Benz Ruby 3 in a Cardas Myrtle wood body) and a Cadenza Bronze. In both cases, I prefer the Gimbal arm. To me, the bass response is a bit crisper.
User avatar
Bob
VPI Certified Dealer
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Billings, Montana

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:27 pm

I also decided on the Gimballed FatBoy. I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago. I had 2 - 3DRs. Sold one and have the 2nd in hand for the swap. Also have a 12" Classic listed for sale. No more HOT swapping arms for me. Brent, are you going to make a mount to run both arms on the HRX simultaneously since you really can't HOT swap the 3DR and Gimballed Fatboy. None of these extra arms I had provided enough mass to make my Miyajima ZERO totally happy anyway. I am putting it on a different table now with a higher mass arm. From all I have read, it seems almost all comments lean to the Gimbal arm. No one is going to openly make a big deal about it since unipivot is VPI's legacy but I am 90% sure the Gimbal is the better sounding arm. HW says so. Myles implies so. What arm did they put on the 40th Anniversary table? And the list goes on. FWIW

Happy Holidays to everyone and Merry Christmas
User avatar
Letsmakeadeal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 pm
Location: Texas

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby tony22 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 am

Bob wrote:I have used both the unipivot and gimballed arm with a Cardas Myrtle Heart cartridge (Benz Ruby 3 in a Cardas Myrtle wood body) and a Cadenza Bronze. In both cases, I prefer the Gimbal arm. To me, the bass response is a bit crisper.


Hi Bob. Can you elaborate a bit on the upper end performance? Extension and air? Or where the unipivot betters the gimbal?
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
User avatar
tony22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby Brf » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote: Brent, are you going to make a mount to run both arms on the HRX simultaneously since you really can't HOT swap the 3DR and Gimballed Fatboy.


Yes, the plan is to mount a second arm board outrigger on the HRX. I have some ideas on how to make that happen and I will report back on my progress. I hope to have everything by week's end as long as Fedex cooperates.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4041
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: I'll be going for Fatboy, but which one?

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:14 pm

I haven't noticed a difference in the upper end, air or soundstage between using the unipivot and gimballed arms. The only difference I noticed was the slightly tightened bass using the gimballed arm
User avatar
Bob
VPI Certified Dealer
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Billings, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

x