How much does VTF affect VTA/SRA?

How much does VTF affect VTA/SRA?

Postby Dizastical » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:31 am

Is there a formula to determine how much affect VTF has on VTA/SRA? I have dialed my cart in to 92* with a USB scope. I have since added .2 grams of VTF to my cart. Im wondering how much .2 grams of force will change the VTA/SRA? Unfortunately the scope stopped working after I used it a few times so I can not see how much of an affect my change has made to the angle. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance.
Dizastical

Re: How much does VTF affect VTA/SRA?

Postby Brf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Unfortunately, since the cantilever is held by a rubber suspension, it is very difficult to calculate without knowing the rubber's compressive modulus of elasticity, cross section, etc...

92 degree is a starting point in which the end user then fine tunes by ear. IMHO, a 10% increase in vtf would have a negligible effect on sra, but there is no harm in playing around with your vta adjustment to find what sounds the best. Just remember to record your starting point in case you want to go back to your original setting.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby JimmyL » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm

I recently just watched some videos of Peter Lederman at SS regarding SRA. At the end of the day, it's near impossible to measure with any real certainty and the final adjustment, as BRF suggests, is by ear.
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/JMW10.5i, VAS HW Nova Special 0.4mV, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Postby Stringreen » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 am

...VTF greatly affects both
Stringreen

Return to Support Forum