Cyclone pickup wand cracks failure

Cyclone pickup wand cracks failure

Postby ctbarker32 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi,

I have an very early Cyclone build.

I had an issue with replacement pickup wands not fitting that was eventually sorted out after several weeks by Mark.

A new problem has appeared that has me puzzled.

My first pickup wand lasted more than a year. New wands are failing after a couple of months. What happens is they start to develop cracks over time until they become unusable because they are literally disintegrating. I am very careful and very gentle moving the wand. When I put the cover on top I make sure the wand stem can retract properly. What's weird is I can come back after days of non use and notice a new crack? I use either VPI fluid or a DIY of a small (less than 1%) mixture of distilled water and ISO and some Turgitol.

I had a 16.5 before and the wands would last for years. I don't understand what is going on?

-CB
ctbarker32

Re: Cyclone pickup wand cracks failure

Postby Brf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:55 pm

I've experienced similar failures but over a longer period of time. A long term solution is to purchase the upgraded delrin pick-up wand over the stock acrylic wand.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby ctbarker32 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Okay I have just become aware of the delrin option at twice the price.

Based on decades of experience with th e16.5 and now the Cyclone, I suspect that the clear acrylic source material has changed over the years? I'll have to check but I seem to remember that the 16.5 wands I had were more of a matte/opaque material rather than the shiny clear material they are now using.

I wish someone at VPI would address this as I don't think it is correct for these to fail so quickly?

-CB
ctbarker32

Postby WntrMute » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:11 pm

One thing you can do is set the collar on the pickup wand so the wand doesn't quite hit the record itself. Adjust is with a couple of sheets of paper or a clean sleeve between a normal thickness record and the tube when pushed all the way down. It is easiest to do if you take the spring off first.
This results in the collar taking the shock of the wand's downward travel rather than the tube's junction with the vertical suction pipe. This has extended the life of my wands tremendously as mine were cracking right at the juncture. This picture is for 78rpm sized records but you get the idea.

935314_6626c7e4e0bd4e93afcd5242c867ea1a~mv2.jpg
935314_6626c7e4e0bd4e93afcd5242c867ea1a~mv2.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 209 times
WntrMute

Postby ctbarker32 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:07 pm

WntrMute wrote:One thing you can do is set the collar on the pickup wand so the wand doesn't quite hit the record itself. Adjust is with a couple of sheets of paper or a clean sleeve between a normal thickness record and the tube when pushed all the way down. It is easiest to do if you take the spring off first.
This results in the collar taking the shock of the wand's downward travel rather than the tube's junction with the vertical suction pipe. This has extended the life of my wands tremendously as mine were cracking right at the juncture. This picture is for 78rpm sized records but you get the idea.

935314_6626c7e4e0bd4e93afcd5242c867ea1a~mv2.jpg
Okay that is an interesting idea and I will take a look but my problem is the cracks are starting at the opposite end of the wand?
ctbarker32

Postby WntrMute » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 pm

One thing to consider is that acrylic absorbs water if I remember correctly. Different forms absorb different amounts. Cast vs extruded and so on. Maybe VPI changed the type of acrylic used. I agree that the new stuff is not as robust as the older stuff.
WntrMute

Return to Support Forum