Ads question

Ads question

Postby Jprod » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:30 pm

Hello - a few vendors have the vpi stuff 10% off and I was wondering from those who have the ads if it was a worthwhile purchase. What audible changes did you experience and is the ads a better purchase than the ring? (I am comparing these 2 because both are the same amount of money)
Thanks
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Re: Ads question

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:59 pm

The ADS improves rotational accuracy if you have “dirty” power. The periphery ring also improves rotational accuracy, but corrects for mechanical causes of inconsistency. In addition, the ring flattens and improves the sound of warped records and, in my experience, somewhat improves sound quality in general. All VPI tables have inherently accurate rotational speed. If you have clean power, the ADS won’t do too much for you. If you don’t play warped records and your platter doesn’t vibrate from internal or external causes, the ring may improve sound quality a bit, but probably not materially. However, the periphery ring looks cool. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Jprod » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Don’t know how clean or dirty my power is here in NE Ohio. I have everything hooked into an audioquest niagara 1000 power conditioner so maybe the ADS isn’t a great idea ?

Thanks for the response
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby patagonia » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:35 am

Voltage is not as relevant in an AC motor as it is in a dc motor. But frecuency is fundamental, the googd part is that frecuency is usualy more stable tan voltaje in the grid.

You could buy a cheap voltage/frecuency meter (us$10-20) to check the quality of your power, take notice when the most heavy usage occurs and the hours you normaly use your system, think is worth doing compared to the ADS price.

ADS Will also change between 33/45 so no more moving the pelt in the pulley, don´t think that worth US$1000

And finally, you have a diy option at arround US$100-200

Regards
patagonia

Return to Support Forum