Moved overseas to a different voltage and hz area

Moved overseas to a different voltage and hz area

Postby Downwillsway » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:38 am

I have recently located to the the UK and brought my beloved Scout Jnr with me.
The drive motor is rated 115V-60hz. A step down voltage converter could deal with the higher UK voltage issue, but I would still be left with a motor that turns at a speed that is aporox 20% lower due to the 60hz (US) vs 50 hz (UK) supply.

Does VPI by any chance supply a motor (UK equivalent) which runs on 220v - 50 Hz, perhaps can you perhaps suggest an alternative solution?

Appreciate your help and thoughts.

Thanks
Will
Downwillsway

Re: Moved overseas to a different voltage and hz area

Postby Brf » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 am

Yes, you can purchase a motor from VPI specified to your country of origin, just make sure that you also order the corresponding replacement pulley.

Alternatively, you can purchase a SDS motor controller that can accept universal voltages and output 60hz. I am pretty sure that the new ADS cannot accept universal voltages.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Downwillsway » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks very much for the help and suggestions - there appear s to be a VPI distributor based in Scotland, are they the best bet for obtaining an area specific motor and pulley.

Do you by any chance know what the maximum watts usage level is on the Scout Jnr motor?

Thanks again
Will
Downwillsway

Postby Brf » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Downwillsway wrote:Thanks very much for the help and suggestions - there appear s to be a VPI distributor based in Scotland, are they the best bet for obtaining an area specific motor and pulley.

Do you by any chance know what the maximum watts usage level is on the Scout Jnr motor?

Thanks again
Will

I am not 100% sure but I believe that the 600rpm Scout motor is 5w, but it could be as high as 7.5watts. If you open the motor casing up, it will be stamped on the bottom.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby patagonia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi, been through this myself with mi prime, in Chile we use 220v 50hz.

as others say:
- SDS or if its 5w you could try a falcon PSU, there was one for US$400 in used market a few days ago.
- Change motor and pulley.

or...as I did to have a quick solution...I bought an AC/DC power supply and connected to an power inverter. I used an inverter (true sine wave) with good comments with solar energy users so I also gained very stable voltage and frecuency (don´t know it I can quote brands here but make shure you use a real true sine wave). Total cost was arround US$70.
patagonia

Return to Support Forum