Belt removal during long non playing periods....

Belt removal during long non playing periods....

Postby VinBob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi All,
I think I read somewhere that when not using the turntable for several weeks, that it’s best to remove the belts to prolong their life. Does this sound right...?
Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Re: Belt removal during long non playing periods....

Postby Dorian » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 am

VinBob wrote:Hi All,
I think I read somewhere that when not using the turntable for several weeks, that it’s best to remove the belts to prolong their life. Does this sound right...?
Cheers,
Vin.

I don’t know but there’s a better solution. Use the turntable! :lol:
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:10 am

Don't worry about it.

Belt deterioration is caused by oxidation (uv, ozone etc) which breaks down both the elastomers ans plasticizers in the belt. It could be argue that a stretched belt will oxidize faster due to the fact that the molecules are less densely packed, therefore, more susceptible to oxidation. IME, belts should be replaced every couple of years for best performance.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks for the clarification Brf - I'll simply replace every two years regardless of the usage then.

@ Dorian - I'll try your solution more in the future! :lol:
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 am

VinBob wrote:Thanks for the clarification Brf - I'll simply replace every two years regardless of the usage then.

Also, put un-used or replacement belts in a plastic bag away from sunlight.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:38 am

Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote:Thanks for the clarification Brf - I'll simply replace every two years regardless of the usage then.

Also, put un-used or replacement belts in a plastic bag away from sunlight.

Thanks Brf - I have done with one of them as I am running two belts (not three) and actually, my Prime is in the basement which unless I am in the room listening, is dark - so probably a good environment for the existing belts on the platter I would assume too! ;)
VinBob

Return to Support Forum