Busting Belts

Busting Belts

Postby cleeds » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:05 am

I'm the original owner of a TNT III and SDS. This is a fabulous turntable and even though many have recommended "upgrades" such as ditching the tri-pulleys, I've kept it stock. It sounds so fantastic that I have no reason to modify it.

Over the last year, it has been breaking the small belt that goes from the motor to the tri-pulley. I think I'm on my third one. That seems odd, because the original belts lasted for years and years. And, the busted belts include both those that I think are VPI OEM (that I ordered from Music Direct) and the "upgraded" belts sold by LP gear. That rather suggests there's an issue with the turntable.

Can anyone here offer a suggestion for a reason this belt seems to be failing so often??
cleeds

Re: Busting Belts

Postby Brf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 am

Try using 2 belts to drive the tri-pulley to help distribute the load. You can also talc the belts to provide a bit of slippage at start up.

In addition, make sure that the tri-pulley capstans are lubricated with synthetic grease and are correctly aligned. There should be an 1/16 to an 1/8” equal gap between the capstan and the tri-pulley support pillar.
Brf
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum