Fatboy crying?

Re: Fatboy crying?

Postby Brf » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:24 am

Marc wrote:Hi All,

I just wanted to follow up on this. This is a very rare occurrence during the 3D printing process. Essentially, when the tonearm is not fully cured throughout but goes into the finishing process there could be a very small amount of residual fluid in the tonearm. This would be something that is purely aesthetic and would not affect the sonic signature. That being said, a Fatboy should be perfect and that's why I wanted Zach to reach out to me. This should be a non-issue moving forward since we only see a few cases like this. However, I already informed my QC team and they will be on the lookout as well.

Sincerely,
Marc

Thanks Marc for the update. I assume that the residual fluid is a result of some sort of wet sanding/polishing that the arm undergoes.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jprod » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Mine has been weeping for a while. Maybe its via divine intervention and I should charge admission to see the "crying VPI arm" :D
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby 930turbo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Marc wrote:Hi All,

I just wanted to follow up on this. This is a very rare occurrence during the 3D printing process. Essentially, when the tonearm is not fully cured throughout but goes into the finishing process there could be a very small amount of residual fluid in the tonearm. This would be something that is purely aesthetic and would not affect the sonic signature. That being said, a Fatboy should be perfect and that's why I wanted Zach to reach out to me. This should be a non-issue moving forward since we only see a few cases like this. However, I already informed my QC team and they will be on the lookout as well.

Sincerely,
Marc

Hi Marc ,

If the weeping starts is it just temporary ? Is there a solution aside from sending back the arm to VPI ? We are based overseas and just received our FatBoy last week .

Best regard,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Ducky » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:17 am

Jprod wrote:Mine has been weeping for a while. Maybe its via divine intervention and I should charge admission to see the "crying VPI arm" :D

Maybe your's was made by Jaguar..... :D
Ducky

Re: Fatboy crying? - Not anymore, thanks to VPI

Postby teenage diplomat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Just wanted to bring this thread to its proper conclusion. Today I swapped my former arm (the infamous weeping fatboy) for a brand new one at the Capitol Audiofest. Marc had aranged for one to be earmarked for me, and he brought it to the show. That worked out perfectly for me, because I live a half-hour or so from the show's host hotel. So I got to hang with HW, Mat, Brian and the gang, while listening to the new 40thDD. Doesn't get much better than that. But one thing does: VPI's customer service. Yet again, they went above and beyond to be responsive. I couldn't have asked for more. So VPI...many thanks. And congratulations on your 40th and on the official launch of the new DD.
teenage diplomat

Postby Jprod » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Marc did the same for me !! Got a new tonearm before having to send mine back. That level of service is rarely found these days. Many thanks to Marc and VPI for their exemplary customer service
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby teenage diplomat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Just an update. Mounted my cartridge, did set up, and the replacement arm/cartridge combo is singing beautifully. Many thanks Marc and the team at VPI.
teenage diplomat

Previous

Return to Support Forum