Fatboy crying?

Fatboy crying?

Postby teenage diplomat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:06 pm

A few months ago I traded-in an original 12” 3D arm for the Fatboy. That was one of the best hi-if decisions I’ve ever made. Tonight, however, I made a discovery: my Fatboy appears to be homesick. It cried a single tear on the bottom surface of the armtube, a tear that has a viscosity and feel similar to damping fluid. I cleaned up the tube with a clean cloth and couldn’t find any obvious source for the liquid, like a hole in the armtube. Anybody have any insight? TIA, zach
teenage diplomat

Re: Fatboy crying?

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted say I had a chuckle at your very descriptive post. You really made me feel that poor tonearm's loneliness! :lol:
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby 930turbo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:06 am

Zach,

Could it be at the junction were the metal end, ( near the azimuth adjustment) meet the 3D plastic material of the tone arm ? I hope it does not happen to my friend’s arm we mounted last Thursday . I hope Harry , Brf (997C4S ) can chime in.

Best regard,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Brf » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am

930turbo wrote:Zach,

Could it be at the junction were the metal end, ( near the azimuth adjustment) meet the 3D plastic material of the tone arm ? I hope it does not happen to my friend’s arm we mounted last Thursday . I hope Harry , Brf (997C4S ) can chime in.

Best regard,

Sorry, I haven't touched a Fatboy, therefore, I cannot offer any insight. I highly doubt that the arm would contain any viscous fluid, but that is pure speculation on my part. VPI Marc should know the answer.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Marc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 am

Hi Zach,

Please send me an email to marc@vpiindustries.com and we can take a further look into this!

Sincerely,
Marc
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Jprod » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Thats exactly what happened to me with my regular 3d arm on my prime! I actually posted this a few months ago on this very forum. Seems to be where the tonearm meets the tonearm holder
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby 930turbo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Jprod wrote:Thats exactly what happened to me with my regular 3d arm on my prime! I actually posted this a few months ago on this very forum. Seems to be where the tonearm meets the tonearm holder

Hi,

Was there a remedy for the weeping 3D arm . I hope that there was a solution to these problem. We’re so far away from the VPI Factory , I hope it’s something that we can fix ourselves.

Thanks Brf (997C4S) for the reply .

Best regard,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Jprod » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:27 pm

I have no remedy. I emailed vpi today as well but have not heard back.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Johnny » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 am

Marc wrote:Hi Zach,

Please send me an email to marc@vpiindustries.com and we can take a further look into this!

Sincerely,
Marc

Hey Marc, ccould you please confirm if there is liquid/damping fluid used in the arm or not. If the later, what would a picture prove??
Johnny

Postby Marc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 am

Hi All,

I just wanted to follow up on this. This is a very rare occurrence during the 3D printing process. Essentially, when the tonearm is not fully cured throughout but goes into the finishing process there could be a very small amount of residual fluid in the tonearm. This would be something that is purely aesthetic and would not affect the sonic signature. That being said, a Fatboy should be perfect and that's why I wanted Zach to reach out to me. This should be a non-issue moving forward since we only see a few cases like this. However, I already informed my QC team and they will be on the lookout as well.

Sincerely,
Marc
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support Forum